Legacy b4's!

twiggy

Sunday Drivers
Well lads,

looking into gettin myself a b4 in the next few months. :icon_biggrin: Been looking at a few on carzone in Northside Automotives. Most of them don't seem to have turbo timers! Just wondering would this mean the turbo's wouldn't have been looked after properly?! :ponder2: And do any of ye know anything about Northside Automotives?! What are they like to deal with?

Cheers
Twiggy :thumbsup:

Most of the turbo timer busines is myth it doesn't take 2 minutes for oil to clear the turbo...more like 15 seconds...if turbo timers where so important to the life of turbo's how come they aren't fitted as standard? Is it more important fro the life of the engine to warm up properly rather than cool down...some perfromance cars are limited until up to temperature...e46 M3 for one.

i would agree with above!!!
regular oil changes will help to prevent turbo wear more than a turbo timer will IMO...
:ponder2: :ponder2:

I agree-car being fully warmed is much more important. And not just water temp-it will take approx 5 miles to get oil temp up.

Subaru recommend a 1minute cool down after a good run... This is because if the turbo is still spinning then its still generating heat and if you suddenly turn off the engine the oil pump obviously stops and the oil thats still in the turbo is not being circulated and begins to burn... Or at least that what i was told anyway...

Warm up and cool down are both very important but just because the car doesnt have a turbo timer, doesnt mean its not been looked after...

@Dagnut - I've heard that they are not fitted as standard due to health and safety reasons... how true that is or not, i dont know :dontknow: ... Think it may be to do with if you have a crash then you can't turn off the engine immediately cause the turbo timer will keep it running... but in turn i wonder why they couldnt have put something like the clifford system in there?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=14740.msg182300#msg182300 date=1241009406]
Subaru recommend a 1minute cool down after a good run... This is because if the turbo is still spinning then its still generating heat and if you suddenly turn off the engine the oil pump obviously stops and the oil thats still in the turbo is not being circulated and begins to burn... Or at least that what i was told anyway...

Warm up and cool down are both very important but just because the car doesnt have a turbo timer, doesnt mean its not been looked after...

@Dagnut - I've heard that they are not fitted as standard due to health and safety reasons... how true that is or not, i dont know :dontknow: ... Think it may be to do with if you have a crash then you can't turn off the engine immediately cause the turbo timer will keep it running... but in turn i wonder why they couldnt have put something like the clifford system in there?
[/quote]

Could well be... I was told by a couple of mechanics they where complete over kill.

Cheers for the help lads :thumbsup:
I knew turbos had to be warmed up properly alright just wasn't sure if them not being cooled down properly would have much of an effect on them!

[quote author=twiggy link=topic=14740.msg182312#msg182312 date=1241013821]
I knew turbos had to be warmed up properly alright just wasn't sure if them not being cooled down properly would have much of an effect on them!
[/quote]

Thing to look out for with the B4's is the gearbox and diffs...personally I would buy private from this site at least you know the cars been looked after and in some cases remapped

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=14740.msg182291#msg182291 date=1241008052]
some perfromance cars are limited until up to temperature...e46 M3 for one.
[/quote]

most cars ,performance or not , will run a reduced duty cycle when the engine is cold ... i had a st202 celica for years and it would never hit the second cam when cold, same went for my levin, and a friends turbo MR2 wont boost until the engine is warmed up a bit ... then again maybe its just toyotas :cuckoo:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=14740.msg182319#msg182319 date=1241015132]
[quote author=twiggy link=topic=14740.msg182312#msg182312 date=1241013821]
[/quote]

Thing to look out for with the B4's is the gearbox and diffs...personally I would buy private from this site at least you know the cars been looked after and in some cases remapped
[/quote]

x2 buy private off the site!!!!!!

[quote author=silverbullitt link=topic=14740.msg182402#msg182402 date=1241032741]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=14740.msg182291#msg182291 date=1241008052]
some perfromance cars are limited until up to temperature...e46 M3 for one.
[/quote]

most cars ,performance or not , will run a reduced duty cycle when the engine is cold ... i had a st202 celica for years and it would never hit the second cam when cold, same went for my levin, and a friends turbo MR2 wont boost until the engine is warmed up a bit ... then again maybe its just toyotas :cuckoo:
[/quote]

no my VZR ws the same vtec civics as well

i bought mine from northside automotives, sound to deal with and no problems, ask for jason he'l sort ya out,

Funny that I had quite the opposite experience.all I'll say is id be very surprised if you got to drive away on the day if you get one there,I certainly learned from my mistakes & the hard way too.

[quote author=Gary O link=topic=14740.msg182737#msg182737 date=1241119794]
Funny that I had quite the opposite experience.all I'll say is id be very surprised if you got to drive away on the day if you get one there,I certainly learned from my mistakes & the hard way too.
[/quote]What kind of problems did you have with them if you don't mind me askin?!

One or two structural issues that weren't readily apparent,refusal to replace what was required.Constant back n forth.There is no substitute for a full mechanical inspection of a car before hand.Don't pay a penny without a test drive.

[quote author=Gary O link=topic=14740.msg182757#msg182757 date=1241128369]
One or two structural issues that weren't readily apparent,refusal to replace what was required.Constant back n forth.There is no substitute for a full mechanical inspection of a car before hand.Don't pay a penny without a test drive.
[/quote]
I'll definitely be keeping that in mind where ever i go looking at one! :thumbsup:

cant say i found that with them! they done all that was needed with mine and no problem with a test drive, unlike another jap dealer in limerick( i dont think i can name them yet) that owes me 4575euro for a car i paid him to import and he didnt do so or give me my money back, its a long road though isnt it!! i got 3 months full warranty from northside also

Turbo timers are an overkill..
If you drive hard yes allow for a couple minute time before knocked of..

But if you think about it most diesels ar turbocharged and these turbos aren't dying every few months on these due to this issue. And these on majority of vehicles are being turned off and on like any other car and with most VAG Cars have mad mileage on them..

Back