Legacy B4 2003 Virgin!!!

dossie01

Petrolheads
Hi all, im new to the forum. I am looking for a bit of advice before i commit to buying a 2003 legacy B4. Love everyting about the car, especially the drive. But as ever, want to be cautious before I jump in. The car will need to be a daily driver, I am a rep, but have limited mileage. Am i mad to consider the car first of all? The car I am looking at has not been registered yet, does it definatly have to be remapped before I drive it much? I've been told that topaz/Maxol fuel is high enough octane, and to use a booster if I do plan to cane it. Im not sure of what revision the car is, I can check that out, I just want to have all my facts right before I go killing an engine, as I will need it to be reliable for day to day use for a min of 2 years! Am i crazy??

I suppose ya dont have to be mad but it helps!

Love the car, love the drive, how can I do it without the hassle!!

Your help will be appreciated

the new model legacy? 2003 onwards or the 99-03 one? i would get either remapped to be safe . i got mine mapped to e5 and havent had a bother with it how much is that 2003 going for?

Thanks for the advice lads,
Id be doin about 1000 klms a month, a diesel is the obvious choice, but I have a fuel card from work, and dont mind puttin a few bob to it either.

The car is an 03 and he's lookin for 6500 for it, needs a bit of work, bearings, shocks and all, but wont take it off him until its done, its japcars out by the airport alright.

Heard a few bad stories, but just as much good ones. Car wont be thrashed, im buyin it as a dialy runner

Am i still mad?

personally I wouldnt buy a cup of tea off him........
But if you decide to get anything off him get a good mechanic to check it out before ya hand him a penny..... Preferably one thats good with Subaru's..

Welcome to the site. Hope ya enjoy the banter here and get plenty of information.

Good luck with whatever car you decide to buy in the end

Neil

That bad Hammie? im swappin a 2006 Mondeo for it cause i just cant sell it. Ive had the easy option for a few years and want to get a nice motor, that not only looks good, but shifts aswell. Not into abusin it or trackdays or nothin. The car looks straight, soulds good, but i'll be damn sure to have it fully checked out before i drive away. Ive been offered a warranty but im wise enough to know that probbly means nothin as soon as ya drive out the gate

Anyone have any idea what kind of mileage to expect from a tank. assuming its drivin " carefully " low enough down the rev range?

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=20770.msg252756#msg252756 date=1264434237]

The car is an 03 and he's lookin for 6500 for it, needs a bit of work, bearings, shocks and all, but wont take it off him until its done, its japcars out by the airport alright.

Heard a few bad stories, but just as much good ones. Car wont be thrashed, im buyin it as a dialy runner

Am i still mad?

[/quote]

dougal-1.jpg

dossie01 i agree with hammie on that, i wudnt take a free car of him mate n thats coming from experience. But as you said get it all checked out and c how it is. Wish ye all the best with it mate. :subaru:

If you are only doing 1,000kms a month, then I'd definitely buy a B4. You'll get 400kms or more out of a B4 tank as standard. Run it on Maxol E5 and throw some NF in when you want to have a bit of fun.. :subaru:

As for Japcars, never dealt with them but have heard the horror stories.. If the car needs that much work though, then i'd look elsewhere.. Plenty of fantastic deals to be ha at the moment :thumbsup:

Welcome along mate! :thumbsup: :subaru:

I have an 02 Legacy for the past 2 years and it still hasn't been mapped. Been run on Maxol from day 1. Thats not too say definately don't map though as i could have just been lucky with the car i had bought. It was my own choice not to remap though as i had been planning a bigger engine rebuild if it did go bang. I drive mine fairly handy now with the odd bit of spirited driving and its as sweet now as when i first got it. Well capable of the mileage you'll be doing. I'd echo what the lads above have been saying about Japcars though. Keep an eye on the For Sale section here and see if anything catches your eye. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

Gettin well scared of them now! Its advice i will take cheers lads. Im gonna get it cheched out top to bottom before I change any dollars, dyin to get one though!

Back