Knee Pain

Aaron

Petrolheads
Maybe someone here can help.

About 5 months ago i found out that hip and pelvis were out, and had been for a few years, i have since had it corrected.
I had to stop cycling for a few month mainly due to the pain in my lower pain/hip, im back on the bike a few weeks now and since i start im having alot of problems with pain behind my right knee.
My hip was out on the right side too, also if i warm up first or not doesn't seem to help. After about 15-20mins cycling the pain starts behind my right knee, it can get so sore i cant stand when going up a hill.

anyone got suggestions? is just a fact that i need to readjust something on the bike, since my pelvis has been leveled back out again.
am i over stretching my leg or not stretching it enough? maybe saddle to forward or too far back?

The the back of knee only hurts when cycling. Running or walking its fine.

Hope someone can offer some help.

thanks,
Aaron

Thats a strange one Aaron. Could be safer to stick to the turbo trainer @home for a while, or maybe leave it off for a while, dont laugh but could be worth trying some yoga, speak to someone who can show you how to hold the streach properly.

im fine on the turbo trainer, dont get any pains. Its only out on the road, cos i was using the turbo before i went back on the road again for about 3 weeks.

gonna tweak the bike over xmas, as i hoping to get out a few days while i was off.

had same symptoms had a tear in my cartilage on the back part of the meniscus on the inside, had an op in september .....

I had same sort of trouble after I dislocated my knee and was trying to get back into training. Turned out to be a problem with the cartilage and I needed a small op to have some removed. Grand now but if there is cold weather I can still feel some pain every now and again.

i'm sorry i asked now. LOL

just booked in for physio next weekend to get it check out. we'll see then whats up.

Have u a dropped arch on your left foot?

If so I would think that be the cause of you knee pain.

Tight hip flexors from cycling can cause the pain in your hip and lower back.

Hey Aaron. Sorry you are laid up. Physio can make it worse if my brothers shoulder is anything to go by. A scan showed damage inside and a keyhole operation was all was needed to flush out the joint. Hope your sorted soon :thumbsup:

could a very tight hamstring cause the pain, if it pulling on the muscles?

i have to go to physio anyways to make sure my hip and pelvis have stayed in place, so i'll get my knee checked while im there,

I am very slightly flat footed, was told its not enough to cause an issue.

The effect of your fallen arches no matter how minor will travel up your leg and cause pain in your knee. Then it will travel to your hip. You need to get the bones in your foot re-aligned. Its like cracking the knuckles on your hand.

If you have lower back and hip pain I would think its tight hip flexore. Yes your pelvis was mis-aligned but have your hip flexors checked also.

I have no lower back or hip pain anymore since that was sorted.

Never had knee pain until the last few weeks. And im cycling almost a year.

It could be so many things. At least im going in with a few questions now.

Could just be you need to adjust your riding position on the bike. If you've an uneven stretch on a full rotation while your arse is on the saddle, you'll eventually feel it as the distance from saddle to pedal will be equal on the left and right sides of the bike, but your legs aren't.

Fallen arches can also travel up and niggle at it and highlight the problem. Also cold weather doesn't help but if you say it's the same whether you're warmed up or not, I'd look at it being a bone or cartilage issue rather than muscle or ligament.

Well my brother is home for xmas and does alot of cliff climbing and we did some real stretches with me last night.
My brother thinks the stretches i was doing just were good enough for the amount of cycling i was putting in each session 2-4hrs 5 days a week..

I did this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-wiOqYcxoI last night it had the biggest effect.

At the start my stretch was about 20%, i know its was really bad i was shocked myself and after 3 reps it was up to about 60%.
I did feel pains but not from i thought they would be. Pains were coming from glutes, calves and for the 1st in months my lower back.

After we finished the stretches (30mins later) i could feel less pressure behind my knee.
Went for a 30mins cycle this morning around 6:30am is was kinda cold too, the pain was ALOT less from the back of my knee and even just today my knee doesn't have that feeling like something isn't right.
Gonna do 3 reps every evening for the next few days and see how it goes. I still have physio next wednesday so i'll get them to check my arches and ask some of the questions ye have suggested.

I'm going to measure up the bike and see if the saddle is too high or low and if i need to adjust the saddle forward and backwards, as i haven't really done a re setup since my injures were corrected before i head out on 26th for a group cycle. we'll see how my knee is then, I'll let ye know how i get on next week with the physio etc etc.

Thanks everyone.

Tight hams could be your prob
Have a look on google for a stretch called a "good morning"
Or a pigeon stretch.
My hams were fooked a few months ago as good as new now all the pain has gone.
As for over stretching on the bike you should have a 10deg bend in your knee when the peddle is at it's longest stroke and this will happen when the peddle arm in in line with the seat tube if you get me.
If you run a plum line off the lump of bone just under your knee cap when your in this position it should split the axel of the peddle in the middle.
If it's in front or behind you should slide your saddle back or forward to make it split.
At this stage you should be about there.
Few other adjustments you can do to help, if your stuck pm me I'll call you.

Instructions

Preparation

Position barbell on back of shoulders and grasp bar to sides.
Execution

Keeping back straight, bend hips to lower torso forward until parallel to floor. Raise torso until hips are extended. Repeat.
Comments

Begin with very light weight and add additional weight gradually to allow adequate adaptation. Throughout lift keep back and knees straight. Do not lower weight beyond mild stretch through hamstrings. Full range of motion will vary from person to person depending on flexibility. Also see Bent Knee Goodmorning emphasising Glutes.

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=32638.msg374147#msg374147 date=1324744148]
Tight hams could be your prob
Have a look on google for a stretch called a "good morning"
Or a pigeon stretch.
My hams were fooked a few months ago as good as new now all the pain has gone.
As for over stretching on the bike you should have a 10deg bend in your knee when the peddle is at it's longest stroke and this will happen when the peddle arm in in line with the seat tube if you get me.
If you run a plum line off the lump of bone just under your knee cap when your in this position it should split the axel of the peddle in the middle.
If it's in front or behind you should slide your saddle back or forward to make it split.
At this stage you should be about there.
Few other adjustments you can do to help, if your stuck pm me I'll call you.
[/quote]

yup thats how i do it. i know how to setup the bike. What i kinda meant was that i never thought of re setting it up again after my injuries were corrected.

but thanks anyways Keith. :thumbsup:

Only one way to Set it up injured or not.
If it's set up wrong this could be why your getting pain.

Yes i know. But my bike was setup while i was unaware of my injuries. Hense why im going to re do it. Let you know how i get in.

Back