JDM Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTL-I 190BHP

KENC

ISDC Club Member
I have a 2000 JDM Celica the VVTL-I 192BHP engine model.
I bought this car off a woman who was using it every day as her run around.

It has the Standard type suspension (Not Super Strut) which is a big advantage, considering the price of Super strut parts and the difficulty in fitting coil overs..

The Car ran out of NCT in April, it has the usual Woman/ age related marks lol, so body is not mint, nothing stomach turning but marks and blemishes here and there. To pass an Nct it would need imo Rear ARB rubbers or links and give the tyres a check over... That should be it.

There is 212,000 Kms on the clock, engine is perfect, no smoke, rattles or noises, 6spd gearbox is perfect as well, all changes are clean in high or low revs, All the same.

When I first drove the car it was obvious it wasn't half the power it should be, so it's probably had any real easy life with this woman, it wouldn't take throttle any way hard, and the Variable Valve lift wasn't kicking in, but a bit of investigation and I had this sorted in an hour lol and now it's perfect..

I had a few plans for the car, last one being to strip it and use it for track days, they are seriously heavy, and when lightened are no different then an Integra Type R..
But being a good bit away from Mondello, realistically I need to purchase a trailer, jeep, and trailer licence :( so it's not worth that to me for a few track days.

Bit of engine nerd stuff lol
The Vvti engine only has 140bhp, and only has variable valve timing.... This engine is the VVTL-I engine which is quite a smart bit of gear, variable valve timing down at @4k rpm and at @6k variable valve lift kicks in and it's impressive even in the heavy body, engine seems to have more torque down low than a Honda. I believe depending on how aggressive you use the throttle the ecu changes how it delivers the power.. This engine was said to be one of the best Of Toyotas ever but was dropped due to emission regulations..
This is the engine that Lotus use in the Elise!!!!!

I would like to get 1k or as close as possible for it as is.....I know it will break for more so I will also sell engine if someone wants it for a starlet or corrollla or something mad lol and I can break the car after.
image_zpsebw8t7um.jpg

image_zpsxrvi3h94.jpg

image_zpsnjfc7cmp.jpg

Last edited:
Back