Intermittent shakes

KrakityJones

ISDC Club Member
Very suddenly, as in the last week - my foz has started shaking, and not a light vibration, proper full body car equivalent of flu. Couple of obvious candidates for it but the more I (and 2 mechanics, granted only a very brief superficial look so far but still) look into it the more gets ruled out, and the worst thing - it's not doing it consistently.

When Cold, it's perfect. All gears/revs/speeds it's 100%. (Made me look a complete tool at the first mechanic who took it for a spin after not seeing anything obvious and to be fair to him sympathetically said "oh I think I feel something there alright".. he didn't, nice of him to say though...)

When it's warmed up.. different story. once it hits about 90km/h it starts, and gets progressively worse, even if the speed is kept steady - ie keep it at 90, within a minute your teeth would be rattling. Drop down speed and it's fine again, and weirdly if brought back up to 90 and beyond it might be fine again. It's not fecking consistent. Drove the same stretch of road 4 times today at the same pace trying to find a pattern (was it in certain revs/gears/turning left/right etc etc) and it only did it once. Steering wheel doesn't move, doesn't feel like the front or back of the car, it's like it's coming from right underneath. Not coming from the engine, can put it into 3rd/4th/5th at 90km/h and the shake doesn't change. Have had it stopped and gone through all rev ranges to see if it shudders, nope, perfect - only when moving.

Obvious first thought was tyres/wheels unbalanced. So had this done in a place I know and trust to do it right and still the same after. Even bought it back to them after it had been looked over and in fairness to them they checked everything again to rule that out and are adamant wheels are in balance (and I don't doubt them)

Next thought was inner cv joint as it's definitely worse when accelerating. Have had that ruled out by 2 mechanics. Plus can't see how hot vs cold would make a difference here.
Drivetrain - could cause that but nope, that seems fine.
Caliper sticking - again all looks fine, no notable heat in any of them after it happens and has been driven like that for a while.
Plugs are due in maybe another 10k miles so doubt it's that, and can't see that just affecting it at certain speeds. Would have thought I'd see other problems if a plug was dying but maybe not, never had it happen before.

One other symptom along with the shakes - the gearknob waggles a crazy amount, as in a half inch either way when it's happening, goes back to perfectly still when going above/below the speeds where it shows. Worst in 5th but does it a bit at those speeds in 4th also, didn't note any wobble in it in 3rd at same speed.

Only other thing wrong with the car is one i posted about before where it'll throw out of first gear if 1st is engaged and you slow down to an almost-stop, it'll just pop back into neutral. Little bit tricky to get into reverse as well but think that's normal with em.

Any other obvious candidates Flywheel? Wouldn't expect it with a single mass. Pressure plate? If 5th gear was gone I'd have though it'd shake at all speeds in 5th but it's just between say 90km/h and beyond.

Any ideas more than welcome, I'm going to keep it off the road for now and get it looked at (hopefully by Seanie if he's got the time) but it's bugging me trying to think what it could be.

Strange one and probably the most irritating thing to diagnose.
Have you had it on a lift? Maybe check all engine and gear box mounts and the center carrier bearing for the prop.

How old are the tyres ?

Carrier bearing in the Center of the prop shaft but it would be noticeable. Have you checked all your wheel nuts

Aye it's been up on a lift and looked at by local mechanic here, he didn't get as far as taking anything apart but from looking/poking/turning wheels and shafts etc (this wasn't a full proper look, he had asked me to nip up to take a look before booking in proper in case he needs to order bits,he'll do a detailed check then) for the initial look anyway he couldn't see anything obvious. Tyres are a year for two front, less than 2 years for the rear, and I'm not doing big mileage. Wheel nuts checked, wheels taken off and balanced.

Strangest thing to me is that it doesn't do it when cold. Is there anything that could expand and rattle about when hot? Mechanic mentioned prop shaft bearing - that the same as the one you've mentioed there Joe?

Yeah checked the oil and that's fine. Now whether it's good oil is a different question but plenty of it anyway. Cheers

Carrier bearing in the Center of the prop shaft but it would be noticeable. Have you checked all your wheel nuts
Had it in with someone else who went over everything in detail - looks like you were on the ball. Centre bearing very worn, and also rear engine torque mount. Now where to find the parts... want to get OEM but main dealers saying there's a long wait time.

Just get a good second hand prop with a good bearing in it , same with the rear torque mount you’ll find one with good bushes 👍🏻

👍 good that you got to the bottom of it 👍👍 baz mentioned it before me so I can’t really take the credit for it 👍👍👍👍👍.

There a fairly simple car underneath that don’t give a lot of trouble 👍👍

Back