Info on winter tyres

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=27876.msg326129#msg326129 date=1291330813]
Would them chains not damage the wheels and tyres anyone using them ???
[/quote]
they would not but you have to have snow/ice and you are not supposed to drive more than 50km/h- serious measures for serious wheather nad handy driving. if one starts messing with them on a tarmac they would brake and potentialy cause some damage...you rather wanna get some winter or proper all-season/weather tyres...

[quote author=Notorious link=topic=27876.msg326135#msg326135 date=1291333000]
[quote author=KENC link=topic=27876.msg326133#msg326133 date=1291331580]
When driving on snow they wouldnt, dont know what they be like on clear tarmac... but just consider this, Look at the likes of Germany, Poland, Russia etc etc.. lots of snow and freezing conditions and very high percentage of cars are RWD and they all get around by using chains.
You can also get blankets for tyres, not sure how they work
[/quote]

Don't know where you heard that, but chains are only used on roads where you are driving on snow, no tarmac/snow/ice in one pile. And as above - only in a "you get stuck scenario". That's why most of them are easily dis mountable.
[/quote]

What are you talking about???
I said in my post above that snow chains are grand when on snow and shouldnt do damage to tyres and that i wasnt sure what they be like on clear tarmac...

so what you talking about? you then just went and said the same thing???

Studded tyres are grand if you know all your journeys over winter are basically going to be on solid ice, wouldnt think the studs tyres will like or last tarmac too much.
Snow chains are more suited to what we have, as in you use them to get off the bad roads, and take them off when you get to a cleared or road.
Winter tyres are grand as long as you have a spare set with them on, as if weather takes up and there is no snow or frost, i wouldnt expect them to last too long

Alright, no offense KENC. :icon_rolleyes: My intent wasn't to repeat you or your thought. I think I missed your point in the first place :dontknow:
Cheers :icon_pidu:

I can't believe how silly things people saying these days about winter tyres and snow chain etc....
It is proven, below +7 Celsius the winter tyres are better in every way.Traction, break distance ,handling all better as a result safer. Even if there is no snow , winter tyres have tread compound is usually softer than that used in tyres for summer conditions so have better traction when temperature is low.
In most countries in Europe You MUST have proper winter tyres on at winter time.
Snow chain is only to be used on deep snow. Pointless in Ireland unless You ready to put it on and take it off every so often the road condition are change ( turn to main road-take it off- turn to back road -put it on-)
Driving with studded tyres on tarmac is like running with boots with screw-in studs on wet tarmac.
I asked guys at work if they have winter tyres and everyone says - no, You just have to drive slower and Your fine- :hammerhead:

snow is falling really heavily since i got home from work in Dublin so looks like ill get another few days out of them anyway!

My Ma is in dier need for winter tyres for her BMW. Wat winter tyres would u recommend lads iv no experience in them

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=27876.msg326812#msg326812 date=1291677195]
My Ma is in dier need for winter tyres for her BMW. Wat winter tyres would u recommend lads iv no experience in them
[/quote]

if around Dublin check Autodepot.ie they have new winters in stock in most sizes and some part worn left. I got set of Nankang SV-2 for mine there, huge improvement in this weather and got a set of part worn continentals for the wife's Qashqai

Cheers dan il have a look at them now. Her car is honestly undriveable in these conditions. So my da is giving her the scooby goin to work :lol:

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=27876.msg326818#msg326818 date=1291678180]
Cheers dan il have a look at them now. Her car is honestly undriveable in these conditions. So my da is giving her the scooby goin to work :lol:
[/quote]

or snow socks is another option if you can get them anywhere these days

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=27876.msg326812#msg326812 date=1291677195]
[/quote]
consider proper all-season/weather ones- she can keep them all year long...

[quote author=Milo link=topic=27876.msg326861#msg326861 date=1291728158]
[/quote]
[/quote] from looking at youtube videos they seem to all say all season tyres are rubbish in snow or ice

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=27876.msg326863#msg326863 date=1291728372]
[quote author=Milo link=topic=27876.msg326861#msg326861 date=1291728158]
[/quote]
[/quote] from looking at youtube videos they seem to all say all season tyres are rubbish in snow or ice
[/quote]
pretty much everything apart from chains/studded tyres is fairly bad on proper ice
nokian wr g2 or vredestein quatrac 3 are perfectly adaquate on the snow/slush (they would be better than budget winter) and better in the wet not to mention dry than many summer ones...both would be on the dot here if one can get them now...if it is noty a high performance car that gets driven and pushed hard one can honestly keep either of these all year long.
have a look here- http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259441/snow_traction.html they have both nokians and vredesteins i mentioned there

checked out winter tyres on a good few sites last night they have the size to fit the front which are 215/40/18 but getting winter tyres on the back is a right pain they are 245/35/18 anywhere i checked online had none that would fit the back wheel. she rang up bmw and they said they could get her winter tyres at 240 a wheel. i thought that was a ridicously high price

europe wants winter tyres and prices went up through the roof...was looking at eiretyres.com, which is good place to gauge the prices, and they have increased by~80% or so on winter ones...what make/brand have they offered for 240?

no idea the girl at joe duffy didnt say. but for 240 a wheel it would want to be something like a pirelli winter tyre or the likes

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=27876.msg327055#msg327055 date=1291831120]
no idea the girl at joe duffy didnt say. but for 240 a wheel it would want to be something like a pirelli winter tyre or the likes
[/quote]
it would be a fair enough price for a "premium" brand considering the size...for a brand that google have not even heard off an extortion...

That isn't a bad price for that size. Why not down size a bit and get a winter set of 16" with higher profile? Even steel wheels would do perfect at winter time and no need to change tyres every year just put on winter set wheels.

Back