How does VRT work in Ireland?

S

STI Ltd Type US

So, do I have to pay the outrageous VRT on a used car I buy in Ireland, or does it just apply to new cars? Does it get paid every year, or just once? How does it work!?!?

Seems to me that this VRT thing is VERY expensive!!! Sounds like a right good fooking from the Gov't if you ask me!

Based on the previous note I posted, I'm going to leave my 2007 STI Ltd. Type US here in California when I relocate to Dublin in early 2008, so I'm gonna have to buy a car, although my job may provide a company car. Don't know how that works either, here in the US we typically get paid mileage or get a car allowance, very few companies provide a fleet car.

Anyway, can someone please point me to a website (I tried searching) that explains how VRT works.

Cheers,
Sean in NorCal
:subaru:

hows it going
vrt is paid only once. it basically is Vehicle Registration Tax. you dont have to pay it if you buy a second hand car. if you import a car into ireland or buy a new car then you will have to pay the vrt to get irish number plates. this would be done at your local motor taxation office. if you go www.revenue.ie, scroll down to "electronic services to" and click on calculate vrt. then fill in your details.hope this helps you out.

[quote author=STI Ltd Type US link=topic=4359.msg46241#msg46241 date=1195525052]Sounds like a right good fooking from the Gov't if you ask me![/quote]

Sean,

You're dead right there, but it only applies when you import a car into Ireland and you only have to pay it once - though that's bad enough! And it isn't even legal under EU law!!!

Anyway, can someone please point me to a website (I tried searching) that explains how VRT works.

How VRT works is a mystery to everybody, they seem to conjure figures out of thin air sometimes, but it's based on a high nominal valuation of the car, decided at by the Revenue Commissioners here - not the actual value. There's a VRT calculator online here.

However, according to a website you might find useful - http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/importing-car-ireland.htm:

[quote author=http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/importing-car-ireland.htm] People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland are exempt from VRT. But if you sell it within 12 months of arriving - you have to pay the tax.

Officially you have to register the car within 1 day of bringing it into Ireland. But there is some discretion that can be applied - i.e. in cases where a person might not have decided to stay permanently until they had been in Ireland for several months.
You will be required to provide proof of ownership, proof of living abroad - i.e bank statements, proof of address and date of arrival in Ireland. You will need proof of insurance abroad going back 6 months and proof of date of purchase. [/quote]

Its all just a money making affair that we will neva benifit from.... :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

My Experience of VRT:

You go into the VRT office, pull down your pants and get the vaseline out of the pocket - then prepare yourself :angry:

Alan.

How Irish VRT works!!

You! :pray:

The Goverment! :noway:

You! :shock:

The Goverment! :shoot:

You! :angry:

The Goverment! :twofinger:

You! :cry:

The Goverment! :smokin:

How was it for you!

[quote author=ericsti link=topic=4359.msg46476#msg46476 date=1195644390]
How Irish VRT works!!

You! :pray:

The Goverment! :noway:

You! :shock:

The Goverment! :shoot:

You! :angry:

The Goverment! :twofinger:

You! :cry:

The Goverment! :smokin:

How was it for you!
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

[quote author=STI Ltd Type US link=topic=4359.msg46241#msg46241 date=1195525052]
So, do I have to pay the outrageous VRT on a used car I buy in Ireland, or does it just apply to new cars?    Does it get paid every year, or just once?  How does it work!?!?

You dont pay VRT on a used car - only on a car that is being registered for the first time in Ireland (new or import) and is a once off payment

Seems to me that this VRT thing is VERY expensive!!!  Sounds like a right good fooking from the Gov't if you ask me!

You got that right  :angry:

Based on the previous note I posted, I'm going to leave my 2007 STI Ltd. Type US here in California when I relocate to Dublin in early 2008, so I'm gonna have to buy a car, although my job may provide a company car.  Don't know how that works either, here in the US we typically get paid mileage or get a car allowance, very few companies provide a fleet car.

Alot of companies here now pay either a car allowance or mileage as you have to pay Benifit in Kind (BIK) Tax on a Company Car - from my experience you are better off getting paid mileage as it is Tax Free

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Cheers,
Sean in NorCal
:subaru:

[/quote]

Hope the above helps mate - as you can see from above posts VRT is something that we love over here  :D  :angry:

Alan.

Back