Hi All - new member

James-mac

Hi everyone,

New member here. Currently in the process of looking to purchase a Scooby. Based in Donegal. So many questions but I've no doubt the forum will have plenty of knowledge and info! Looking forward to the rumble :icon_grin:

Thanks

Welcome along plenty of info here what kind of subaru are you thinking of

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome along plenty of info here what kind of subaru are you thinking of

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gary,

I'm thinking along the lines of a blob eye or Hawkeye sti. I'm torn reading threads about the 2.5 unit and some of the problems it has, ringland failure etc. The 2.0 unit seems the better option but the price is always going to be a fair bit more so trying to weigh up options.

Probably should bring this up in another thread but all and any info is very much welcomed.

Hello and welcome.
I suppose the 2.0 would be known as the more reliable engine. The 2.5 is just a lovely torquey unit to drive.
A rebuilt 2.5 would be a peach.
Whats your budget and preference?

Welcome along man????
Great club, with loads of information here, you'll settle in nicely ????????

Hello and welcome.
I suppose the 2.0 would be known as the more reliable engine. The 2.5 is just a lovely torquey unit to drive.
A rebuilt 2.5 would be a peach.
Whats your budget and preference?

I have driven a few 2.5's and one fully rebuilt just recently. Power delivery was really nice and didn't seem to have much lag. Ive only driven a 2.0 jdm once and didn't find a huge amount of lag as is claimed but again I'd only driven it the one time.
Am I right in saying the 2.0 has few extras over the 2.5 in a close ratio gearbox and quick steering rack?
Budgeting for between 10- 13k on English plates depending on model and condition. I'm leaning towards the 2.0 at the minute - insurance and tax is cheaper and I plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future.

All opinions and advice welcome!

Thanks

Welcome man! I only have experience with the 2.5 sti but I love mine. The torque delivery is just brilliant. Ringland and head gasket issues would always be in the back of your mind I guess but just make sure there's a full history with the car and keep it serviced regularly and hopefully it would be ok. Best of luck with the search!

Welcome man! I only have experience with the 2.5 sti but I love mine. The torque delivery is just brilliant. Ringland and head gasket issues would always be in the back of your mind I guess but just make sure there's a full history with the car and keep it serviced regularly and hopefully it would be ok. Best of luck with the search!

Thanks Ciano

Agree with you there 100%. A good service history with the car and routine maintenance. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on a few different variants regardless the displacement. Cheers for letting me know about your own
icon14.png

Welcome along great bunch here and extremely helpful with everything looking forward to see what u purchase ????,

Hi All,
Thought I would give an update on the Subaru. Managed to purchase a car back in December. Bit slow getting round to posting! Have very little photos but will throw up more when I'm home. Delighted to finally get sorted and I must say a huge thanks to Joe for all the information and advice, through messages and phone calls. Its great to talk to people in the club with so much experience and enthusiasm. Hopefully get out to meet some of the club members come summertime. Car is the JDM Twinscroll and had it mapped with AP a few months back. Look forward to getting out in the summer. Thanks again to all for advice and the welcome.
IMG_5151.JPGIMG_5232.PNG

Back