Heavy steering

conorob123

ISDC Club Member
Hi, i have a 2004 wrx. The steering becomes almost undriveable on a long journey its as if i lose power steering or if i floor it the steering tends to get very heavy. On short journeys the car is perfect to drive however...im thinking its probably the power steering pump..do these cars have troublesome ones?

You didn't mention what sort of miles are on the car, or what the service history has been...
However, some things to check:
  • Belt tension or wear... (should be no visible wear on the belt and should not be brittle... check tension by pressing with thumb where belt is straight for 15-20cm between pulleys and should be able to deflect by max 10-15mm... do not over tension either as will wear bearings on the pump / idler and wear belt)
  • Old ps fluid (change it if not done in the past 2-3 years / 20-30k miles... and as per recent comment of Joe > either make sure pump is never without fluid during change, or hand prime pump up with fluid before you start it, as it will deffo do damage if run off the engine and no fluid in the pump)
  • If above two are ok then indeed could be pump on way out or rack (as oil gets thinner as heats up so if worn can be ok initially when cold and then start to get heavy as oil thins out and pressure drops as a result)

Back