Heat wrap

The DEI wrap is as good as you will get really... It has a stitch line that you over lap to. Have it nice and damp with a spray bottle of water....stainless tie wire, maybe 2-3 inches apart, even closer on bends, and it won't move..
Any issues I've ever seen is either just cheap crap heat wrap, or not put on good... Or both...

If you over wrap you can do damage to the metal.

So when time comes to replace rusty old heatshields, is it best to try get some new heatshields, some new Fresh DEI wrap or some fancy ceramic coating? I need to re-do my headers and up-pipe and will probably do it when swapping the turbo. Probably do the top of the DP aswell. Anyone a fan of the DEI reflect-a-gold on the FMIC piping to keep the heat out of them or is there a better product for here?

Sorry for hijacking Adrian, but better than starting a similar thread about same stuff i guess! DEI website says to apply their titanium wrap dry and do not coat it since its already coated from the factory? Interesting. Is there a special tool needed for securing the stainless steel cable ties?

Im a firm beleiver in every little helps when it comes to the likes of engine temps, i have my Intercooler to throttle body pipe wrapped in normal Dei wrap... does it make a Difference.. i dont know... but my thinking is it can only help..
Same goes for insulating Heater pipes,etc etc, DEI Turbo blankets are great aswell.

Ceramic coating is not a "Forever" solution, it does flake and come off, and needs to go onto a brand new clean surface to have any chance of lasting.

DEI Titanium wrap i was told is not as good an insultator as the Normal Tan Colour stuff, The weave is different and apparently lets more heat escape... Looks nice do..
Dan you can buy Lock wire Pliers on ebay etc etc, or you can just twist it with a normal pliers...
I use wire and the stainless ties.. but the ties are uselss.. you just cant pull them tight enough.. alright when used with the wire.... but on its own... it will fall off

Ha not at all Dan this is all goon information here,I'm just trying to stop a little rattle but I would like a long term solution.
Heat shields can be a pain when they start making noise I'd feel better having a good wrap job done even if I did have to the job again in a year or two.Anyone know where I can ya get sealer for wrap my shields are sorted for the moment I just put some wrap on the joints of the heat shield which stopped the noise,but it's a bit smelly when it gets hot would sealer stop this smell or will it just go away after time?

Wrap and sealer smells a bit when new but after couple of "spirited" runs or a couple of hundred miles the smell goes away when fully cured.

Back