headliner question

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
alright lads im thinking of trying to take the headliner out of my legacy and re-upholstering it myself,
am I better off leaving it to a pro to do or is it a straight forward enough job to do from start to finish?
the headliner at the moment is faded in places and has a fake leather type feel to it, im thinking of going with a more modern perforated fabric and spray gluing it on:ponder:
any help much appreciated:thumbsup:

Probably get one of the mobile lads handy enough to do the lot on site. I have used them for seats didn't cost much and lad up here done good job but said he does all interior trim. I'd say there someone down your way Johnny

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Give MX Valeting a shout. James is mobile and could travel to you, he will prob be able to sort you out ????
Worth asking anyway, I know he does fabric dying and all that so worth getting in touch

I've done a good few many years ago (worked in place that did restorations).
Not that hard to do really if you take the below into account.

* Get really good quality spray glue > make sure you let it dry long enough so full adhesion on contact of surfaces.

* Personally prefer to start from middle out for best results.

* For best results you really need a 2nd person there for the extra pair of hands as for good results too hard to keep headliner steady (it's light and wants to move) while also keeping enough stretch on the fabric (to get nice tight and flat finish), and only get one chance to put it down right if using the good glue (that keeps it glued in place for years regardless of temps etc with sun in summer on roof).

* Unless you have done many... do not spray the whole headliner former... do a patch in the middle where you are going to start sticking of about 8-10" round... then fold back material on one side... spray another 8-10" band out on that side (so semi circle as only sticking say left side middle out) from the middle stuck bit... let it dry the 10-15mins it needs... stick the material by one person holding liner against body or legs and fabric firmly in hands up at a 30-45 degree angle (tight with even pressure so no creases in fabric) and 2nd person comes in with arm and hand from the side into the corner of the angle where it meets liner horizontal and fabric being held up... and to push / stroke the fabric down until you get to end of the glue. Then repeat till end of liner on one side... then switch side and repeat till done. Doing it this way gives you the best chance of success although it will take 60-90 mins total (if you include the glue drying times for the multiple glue phases).

Some people use a hard roller (the kind you use for rolling wall paper joint edges), but recommend against that as very easy to over stretch fabric and get "waves" and creases as those rollers are narrow and difficult to put exactly the same pressure on each "lane"..

Good luck... it really is easy enough to have a go yourself and in worst case scenario you can do it again and would only be at the loss of the fabric which is cheap enough anyway.

It?s simple eoghan do the job it?s a bit of work getting it down and the a,b and c pillar trims need to come off . Roof light , and handles and out through the rear door it flexible enough like 6mm Corry board like what the election posters are made off so will take a bit of bending :thumbsup: take your time and you?ll get it done .
Mind the rear c pillar trims as the seatbelts go through them the clips are brittle enough

Back