Golf to bmw

mac mac

ISDC Club Member
Currently have a 2010 golf gtd ' r32 purple with a set of gunmetal OZ alloys . Tidy lookin car if i do say so .

Have a bit of a horn for a 320 bmw . In petrol or diesel .

Jus wanted any views/thoughts/advice on such an idea from the car community .

Currently have a 2010 golf gtd ' r32 purple with a set of gunmetal OZ alloys . Tidy lookin car if i do say so .

Have a bit of a horn for a 320 bmw . In petrol or diesel .

Jus wanted any views/thoughts/advice on such an idea from the car community .
Personally I'd stick with the golf. Vanos units give alot of bother on the petrol versions, aswell as valve stem seals and guides along with piston rings. And they eat through cats due to burning oil. Can be fairly costly to fix. As for the diesel, swirl flaps, timing chain issues and dual mass flywheel are all common issues.

As above Mac the diesel BMW give bother with chains and if it's the one with chain at back it's engine out job and if so it can be an expensive repair bill, the golf is actually a good car and when looked after properly they're actually fairly reliable

Yeah, F10 BMW diesel chain can be pricey, if there's a receipt for it done, it should be good. Could be looking 1500 or 1600 or so for that

Scoobycon here be worth asking on this Ross went from a 520d msport to a 1.6 golf r line Deizel to a 530 Msport hybrid petrol recently

Say he will be along

Scoobycon here be worth asking on this Ross went from a 520d msport to a 1.6 golf r line Deizel to a 530 Msport hybrid petrol recently

Say he will be along
The golf he has would be better than all 3 of those, the 2.0 diesel BMW is junk and the 1.6 VW isn't much better, but I can't say anything about the hybrid BMW only that it would be an expensive car to buy

Old man has a golf 1.6 td to be fair zero issues since bought (151)..no ball of fire not supposed to be but very good car imo..

Best make had 1 of each the 2 last generations 520d msport from new traded after 3 years not even a bulb gone in either fairly good milage up on em too but you do hear horror stories beautiful cars to drive though

Hi Ross,
Like anything everyone will have their own views on different makes & models of cars...audi v bmw, merc v audi, scooby v evo.....you get the idea.
Best thing to do is give any car your thinking of a test drive and then do the necessary research.....
All I can give is my experience of things,
Have been daily driving bmw for over a decade....320d x2 ,then on to 520d x 5.
Yes the timing chain is a costly fix ,but depends on year of car you be looking at....if done ,problem solved.
I don't hang on to cars usually past the 2yr mark but in all my time the only beemer to give me an issue was a 191 520d with 25000kms on the clock.....kept going thru oxygen sensors,......adblue wasn't a help by all accounts.
I moved to the 1.6 Golf..lovely car to be fair .only reason I moved the golf on,After big auto ,saloon cars I just found the golf small....530e is only in my possession a week so can't comment on that.
I'm only putting forward my experience on both and hope this is of help to you.....
If you want any other info ,feel free to PM me đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I’ve had 4 Bmw 2.0 diesels and never an issue. 50 mpg. They are serviced on the button and change up every couple years. Looking at diesel hybrid 420 grand coupe as my last 2 were 320gt which is no longer available since 2021. Wouldn’t stay BMW if I had any issues. POSs issues on older models but I can’t comment as I don’t know. End of day every make will have issues so make your own mind up after checking out ones you are interested in. Best of luck with purchase.

Right so , appriciate all views and advice . Golf has bern great car but jus fancy a change and blue 320 msport has caught my eye in recent years cuming from a non bmw fan . Decision made , lifes too short not to . So golf is oficially for sale . Will have an ad up moro , will share .and if u know anyone looking for a good rare looker .

Grass always greener on other side and hope my decision is rigjt one , time will tell .

Thanks again for advice .

Back