Gearbox seal 97 2 door sti

miked

Sunday Drivers
Hi Guys and gals,

Hope this is the right section, Iv also tried the search but its just returning a blank screen- probably just a fault on my end.

Anyway, I recently bought a 2 door sti type r that had been parked for about a year and a half, got a full service done, engine , box and diff oils changed etc. all going well until I noticed a drop of oil underneath it, showed to a mechanic friend and he reckons its the seal at the front of the gearbox. He said it could be perished from being parked up. His question is is it possible to buy a replacement seal (from main dealer) he said with certain makes you can and certain makes you cant so thought who better to ask than the experts :smile:

Any info greatlt accepted oh and pics up very soon

Hi mate ,

By the sounds of it its probably a rear crank seal, Gearbox ,clutch and flywheel out to change that, you might aswell change the clutch and pilot bearing while your in there.

:thumbsup:

As above, sounds like rear crank oil seal. Recently had mine done.

Thanks lads,

Can the seal be bought on its own? How much?
@AndyC was it expensive to get it done?

yes you can get one from a subaru dealer or one of our traders, there very cheap aswell

are you getting any slip from the clutch??

sometimes if the rear crank oil seal is gone it will drip onto the clutch plate and will cause slip.

can you see were its coming from?

[quote author=miked link=topic=33392.msg382727#msg382727 date=1330117315]

@AndyC was it expensive to get it done?
[/quote]

Yes it is expensive to get done but Im not sure exactly as I had a lot of other work done at the same time.

Yes Duffman, the mechanic mentioned that it could be dripping down onto the clutch, must only be a recent thing as there was no apparent leaks or soiling on the undertray, possibly only gone since I began driving it. I have no slipping through the clutch though.

Recommend any of our tarders on site for the seal? Any rough ideas how much it is?

[quote author=miked link=topic=33392.msg382736#msg382736 date=1330118506]
Yes Duffman, the mechanic mentioned that it could be dripping down onto the clutch, must only be a recent thing as there was no apparent leaks or soiling on the undertray, possibly only gone since I began driving it. I have no slipping through the clutch though.

Recommend any of our tarders on site for the seal? Any rough ideas how much it is?
[/quote]

Hi mate if you put a post in any of the traders sections they will give you a price.If your near Dublin Sti tuning or Ciaran ASDorif you upthe nother Ali burrows

I am Duff, but the problem is this has no tax or test and Im at least 40 mins drive from the city, I have lads here that will do it, gonna drop the box out during the week to confirm which seal is gone and get it ordered.

Back