Fortester DPF

g6r109

Hi I was driving from Galway to Dublin on Monday when the DPF light came on about 1 hour into the journey.
From reading the car manual it says the DPF tries to burn off the soot but nothing happened at the time
Car is down in power but only to the degree that it doesnt rev freely past 3k rpm and wont climb the revs fast.
But i can still maintain motorway speeds.
I put a bottle of Dipetane into it on Tuesday and have more or less burned through the full tank of diesel I had when it came on but nothing has changed.
Is there anything I can do to help the issue?
The light is still flashing.

You could try plug it in to a good diagnostics and do a manual forced regeneration on the DPF. It won't clean out all the soot but will clean it fairly well, this will be temporary tho and will prob clog up again if your not doing the driving, or getting the car hot enough to clean it out itself.
Also, if your mechanically minded, to do it proper, you'll need to get under the car, take out the DPF and use specific DPF cleaning solutions to physically clean it out of all the soot and then do a reset of the DPF sensor so the ECU knows there is now 0g of soot in it.
A lot of cars won't do an automatic regeneration themselves if there is a quarter tank or less in the car either, so keep that in mind too.
Best of luck, feckin diesels man lol

What would cause it to happen in the first place?
I'm definitely driving it enough - i do about 1000km per week on average,
And the car does get a good blast
its 50-50 between motorway and town driving
But I get it serviced at the subaru dealer on the mark every time, which for me is about every 3-4 months

You could try plug it in to a good diagnostics and do a manual forced regeneration on the DPF. It won't clean out all the soot but will clean it fairly well, this will be temporary tho and will prob clog up again if your not doing the driving, or getting the car hot enough to clean it out itself.
Also, if your mechanically minded, to do it proper, you'll need to get under the car, take out the DPF and use specific DPF cleaning solutions to physically clean it out of all the soot and then do a reset of the DPF sensor so the ECU knows there is now 0g of soot in it.
A lot of cars won't do an automatic regeneration themselves if there is a quarter tank or less in the car either, so keep that in mind too.
Best of luck, feckin diesels ma
Best of luck, feckin diesels man lol

Usually short journeys to be honest, but that's not the case as you said so.. could be a dodgy EGR valve or unit, or just the DPF is on the way out itself. It would need plugging in I'd imagine...
Have you anyone nearby with good equipment to check it out for you?

Ciaran Larkin on here ( Larkin Automotive ) has fixed a lot of cars with dpf issues , based in Finglas, Dublin , just an option for you .

As above give ciaran larkin a call đź‘Ťhttps://larkinautomotive.ie/

Diesel cars were never designed to recycle dirty shitty soot . So while the system works when new it’s getting worse and worst over time so that’s usually what
Causes it đź‘Ť

Thanks I've always gone to the subaru dealer with the car and have it booked in tomorrow and will see what they say

Unfortunately the down fall of modern diesels. In the Subaru diesel this is common enough. Some Foresters were recalled for oil dilution so if that is the cause of the DPF blockage then they should cover it.
DPF needs to be removed and cleaned. The main dealer will regenerate it for you and it will be ok for a while but will likely happen again. I know from experience.

Back