Forester

johnd

2000 subaru forester s turbo, turned it off 1 day couple weeks ago and when I went to start it again it would not start. It turns over fine but won't fire, mechanic plugged into it no faults showing up for car but it says key not recognised. I've had 2 locksmiths look at it and they both reprogrammed the key and still nothing. I've entered the code into the keypad in glove box several times which locks and unlocks it and still nothing. Have any of you had this problem as I am losing patience now, Tia

Never had the same problem have you tried using the second key .is the flashing key light going out on the dash when you put it in and turn the Ignition . If so then it’s an alarm issue . What did the locksmith say was the problem ?

Never had the same problem have you tried using the second key .is the flashing key light going out on the dash when you put it in and turn the Ignition . If so then it’s an alarm issue . What did the locksmith say was the problem ?
Hi, yes I've tried both keys and fobs, I've also used the code on keypad in glovebox, all do as there ment too, mechanic did diagnostic and showed up no problems with car but it did say key not recognised. Contacted locksmiths and he said key need to be reprogrammed, he called out had a look at it and reprogrammed key but still nothing, he said he didn't know what is wrong as he didn't want to go messing woth the alarm and immobiliser that subaru he'd fitted. So I am totally lost.

I'm guessing it's the early version sigma alarm?

They are known to give issues if you Google it

Scoobynet had some threads on it before afaik

Also issues with masts close bye and frequency clashes if its near a mast at present

My guess if possible removing the alarm altogether would be the simplest solution maybe

Hope you get sorted anyway 👍

When he reprogrammed the key did the key light go out . That will determine if it’s an alarm problem or an imobilzer problem so that’s important to know

Back