flat spots with decat downpipe

Newage has a stronger motor than the classics, But they are no indistructable,
Fenster, you may expect a melted piston at some stage I'd imagen!
As above, Your new down pipe has freed up the turbo a lot, so much so that the turbo spools so much faster that she over boosts then fuel cuts then over boostes then fuel cuts again! Over boosting would mean that she is pumping more air in and the fueling can't keep up, so she runs lean, which means it runs much hotter and hence a melted piston!
Mapping will take advantage of the freer exhaust and she'll be a flyer!

Davelegacy (STI Tuning) is mapping this weekend the 8th, my car will be there!
Nic spec c will give him a good referance! And me,
0857715343 :thumbsup:
Dan

Dan its not the motor strength in new age its that the ecu is far more adaptable to change, Martin Treacy said no need to map just keep it on e5 same from Nick in cotoure

I don't subscribe to the same beliefs as yourself here Fenster but Martin & Nick have advised you & I certainly don't have the technical knowledge to question them.

Would you not even consider fitting a boost controller to stop the spikes & get rid of these flat spots you're talking about?

Well its not bothering me its jonny looking for a solution, mine feels grand and quick so dont want to go changing it
it mapped engines fail too and by previous threads it seems about the same amount of mapped and un mapped go

would a boost controller help sort it out . i must try a fill of e5 and iv heard you can reset the ecu on mine how do i go about doing that

[quote author=jonny link=topic=13293.msg164238#msg164238 date=1236118792]
cheers lads the check engine light came on this evening and my buddy has a delphi diagnostic computer its said the fault was catalast flow insufficant and when we checked live data and it said 02 sensor lean any ideas and who would be the best and fastest to map the car in a hurry for mondello on the 17th :ponder2:
[/quote]

A small 2.2ohm resistor will sort the check engine light out, its the because you dont have a CAT.

I have one here and can stick it in the post free of charge for you if needs be :thumbsup:

Damo

the ecu adaptability has nothing to do with it in either of you cases, what your advisers ment was that your ecu is more adaptable to different fuel rons than say a classic,
however this those not refer to decating your car, your ecu still has no more control over over boost or boost spike than any other car and will react in exact same way and fuel cut..
As Dan said once your fuel and air mixture runs lean, this changes the the combustion to nearly that of a cutting torch, ive seen pistons with holes melted in them, you would think they we made of plastic could be 1 could be all 4, mite get away with replacing piston, mite have to scrap block , the crackles and pops is the sound of pinking or det i would imagine.
I think both of you are running a big risk of doing damage, but they are your cars and your choices, be shame to see anything happen to that nice spec C.. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Renno link=topic=13293.msg164303#msg164303 date=1236121482]

I have one here and can stick it in the post free of charge for you if needs be :thumbsup:

Damo
[/quote]

Fair play Damo :clap:
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=13293.msg164283#msg164283 date=1236120703]
Newage has a stronger motor than the classics, But they are no indistructable,
Fenster, you may expect a melted piston at some stage I'd imagen!
As above, Your new down pipe has freed up the turbo a lot, so much so that the turbo spools so much faster that she over boosts then fuel cuts then over boostes then fuel cuts again! Over boosting would mean that she is pumping more air in and the fueling can't keep up, so she runs lean, which means it runs much hotter and hence a melted piston!
Mapping will take advantage of the freer exhaust and she'll be a flyer!

Davelegacy (STI Tuning) is mapping this weekend the 8th, my car will be there!
Nic spec c will give him a good referance! And me,
0857715343 :thumbsup:
Dan
[/quote]

Yep Dave and Bob done a top notch job on mine, i went home with a totally different car and a big smile on my mug,
ask the chap in the porsche how happy i was :icon_grin:
i was this happy :multijump: :multijump: :multijump: :multijump: :multijump: :multijump: :multijump: :multijump:

The check engine light is coming on as car believes cat has failed. Its for emissions. There is a o2 sensor before and after the cat so with decat on is reading aboves ecu's emission friendly limits The resistor only fools ecu into believing that these limits are still within safe emission limits and therefore won't bring on check engine light. But the situation of de-cat safety concerns are still present.

Whilst mapping the mapper can raise these limits on ecu so will not come on after mapping either without need for any resistor.

@fenster as your car is not standard. i.e. has full de-cat system i'd be reserved to say work away as its a jdm model. Although new age ecus are far more intelligent then there their class predessors was, new age cars still melt pistons.

2 cats in uk model new age cars... both of them also in downpipe.. they run a 4 piece system.

longer 2piece downpipe containing a cat in each section. and a shorter centre section then. backbox is same on uk/jdm length wise.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

would a boost controller help sort it out . i must try a fill of e5 and iv heard you can reset the ecu on mine how do i go about doing that

Yes a boost controller will help but as said already it's not an ideal way to solve the issue
but definitly do it until you get car mapped .

Just unplug your car battery for 20mins (i think could be shorter) and this will reset your ECU.

Do Not Track Your Car Until You Have This Prob Sorted, wether it goes bang or not im sure
everybody will agree you are taking a Big Chance.

There's a few traders on here mapping cars , Start ringing around and
get a few prices :thumbsup:

Niall.

cheers in the process of organising mapping not going to take cheap or quick route thanks for all the advice lads :thumbsup:

I have a Dawes device sitting at home on a shelf? Would it be any use to you? €20 and it's yours.

Back