Exhaust decibel test

subiescooby

Matthew
ISDC Club Member
Well lads.

So I have a local garda here in Galway after me for my exhaust.
I was stopped in January for it being too loud ( some of ye might remember it in Donegal trip it was ridiculously loud 🤣). I agreed with him there that it was too loud. I was asked to fix it and present it at a Oranmore Garda station here. So I did that, oranmore Garda said it was fine. Passed NCT 2 weeks later with same exhaust. All good, been driving ever since gone through countless checkpoints even had Garda complementing the car on multiple occasions.

But last Sunday night, I was stopped again by the same Garda that stopped my in January. Same story, no happy with my exhaust. I explained he already stopped me asked me to fix it and present it, and that I did all that but he wasn't happy with the noise and disagreed with the Garda who approved it 😴

Long story short, I tried to explain to him about 99db limit etc etc but he wants it as quiet as normal road traffic.

I went into oranmore station today explaining what's going on. They told me that Garda no longer test exhaust noise so it's up to Garda discretionary, which explains why he's asking me to make it as quiet as normal traffic.

The Garda in Oranmore were very helpful to me with explaining things.

So to fight my case with this particular Garda, I need proof of decibel level so that he has no leg to stand on anymore and I can be on my way.

Would any of ye know of anywhere that would test the car noise level and give me a written print out of that level? preferably somewhere with a certification so it'll stand in court if that's where he wants to go, which more than likely he will go to court if I disagree with him again.

I'm meeting him again on Sunday to present the car to him personally with a db killer in the exhaust, but I know it's not over 99db with the db killer out, so the car is legal.

Long read I know, any help appreciated!

Jesus man. Thats crazy. Not once in my life was I stopped like that, I'm no help to you.....I'm just shocked lol

I want this dead in the water, im not dealing with him again. I have the db killer bung in right now, but I dont want to have to use that all the time when my car is perfectly legal without it.

This particular garda is known in Galway for the way he is with cars.
He's is rude from the get go, I was trying my hardest to stay calm at him which I did. He was livid and nearly shouting at me when all I was trying to do was understand what he wanted from me.

He says the car is excessively loud, which I disagree with. I never disagreed that the car wasnt loud, but its not over the 99db limit, I know its not. I presume he is always dealing with McDonalds car park warriors which is why he is so aggressive, id imagine they are giving him abuse if they ever get stopped.

I was being genuine and trying my hardest to get answers out of him about getting the car db tested and what the limits were, but he had no interest and just wanted to berate me about how he could hear my car before he could see it.

as far as I can tell, because they dont do sound tests anymore that the loudness of the car is completely up to the garda, which is why he wants to meet me personally on Sunday so he is happy with the car. But I want to present him with proof that the car is under the 99db limit. I had it confirmed today by the Garda in Oranmore station that if I have proof, then I have my argument.
Im fully prepared to go court over this because im not accepting his argument that he thinks the car is too loud, therefore should be made silent. The NCT and irish statute book states that a car cannot exceed 99db

Bully gard on power trip. I had to deal with similar cop on a different matter, he asked me to present some paper work in the station he wasn't there l present it to his colleague and he lost it with me that l didn't look for him personally. You don't want the court bit as you will be dragged around like a circus monkey and even if you win you are still a looser for wasting time and money while he clearly has nothing better to be doing

I live in Oran. I have a bung from my Tomei Expreme if you want it. Come round my gaff, I want to listen

But seriously, I had no problem with my Tomei at all around here. He kinda has you pinned down. You passed the NCT with it so what’s the big deal :(

I had your situation with a Garda in Balbriggan many years ago. I wrote a letter to the Superintendent naming this Garda. I gave a detailed account of all my interactions with this Gaurd, actions taken to remedy the situation, quoted law and regulations, NCT results etc etc and basically said he was harassing me. Never heard a thing after that. I like to think the Superintendent had him in his office for a meeting and told him forget about it and focus on real crime.

Idiots like this give all of them a bad name.

Been biting my lip or staying away from keyboard I should say since I read this earlier but cannot anymore. My two cents worth if any help as follows. This is complete horseshit. The guards,like every single other profession is made up of mostly good people whom just want to go about their job in a quiet&professional manner without any hassel. Like every thing in life now there is a minority of complete gobshites. If your initial version of events is true,and I'm not doubting you for a second or saying it's not,it would seem the best way to approach this, to finally be finished with it, is to go to said Guards superior and make a complaint. Weather formal or not is up to you but I would make it informal and that you would just like to make it be known that you have done everything requested off you by the guard,the car has passed it's roadworthy test and(not putting word's in your mouth) your finding this Guards action's distressing and having an impact on your mental health. You do not want to go down the court route,trust me. You do not want to question this idiot or argue with him. Both of my parents are retired Guards one of them spent 14 yrs working in the court's. Iv heard many many stories from them both of so many different incidents and more importantly iv recieved sound advice from them both if I ever found myself in trouble with the guards(and couldn't get one them on phone haha) that was never argue,do what's asked in other word's comply and finally if you feel wronged complain to superior with your evidence to back yourself up,which you seem to have. I'd doubt you'll ever hear from him again. Don't fucking meet him Sunday. Good Luck

Hi Matthew,

A pain I know but stay cool,

Send me a pm with you number and I'll.give u a call.

Sec 29 of the attached act relates to silencers and specifically 'defective' silencers which is separate offence to decibel readings. Now the definition of defective silencer is not exact but its what alot of young fellas are getting prosecuted for with loud exhausts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_214858_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_214858_Chrome.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the replies lads.
99% of the Garda around galway are lovely and always sound never had a problem with any of them.
This Garda in particular is the only one who has ever given me bother, and he is known for given bother.

I live in Oran. I have a bung from my Tomei Expreme if you want it. Come round my gaff, I want to listen

But seriously, I had no problem with my Tomei at all around here. He kinda has you pinned down. You passed the NCT with it so what’s the big deal :(
Thanks for the offer, but I have one that came with the exhaust I have. I would just rather not use it because the car I feel is legal without it :confused:
So im going to push on a bit anyway and see where it gets me. I would love if the garda himself would talk to me about it but he wants none of it, just plays games with me around in circles when I try to have a conversation with him.

There are decibel meter readers for sale on eBay that measure up to 120 db. Prices up around e30. Would local nct centre give you a reading on your car if same has already passed.

ive ordered one on Amazon alright, but id like to have a paper cert off some where recognised just to have that piece ticked off for sure

Don't measure it yourself as there are certain parameters that must be met for it to be credible also as you said you would more than likely have to have proof for the fool. I would be looking at what Wagon version 6 said up there and don't meet him and talk to his superior 👀👀

I have a feeling if I don't meet him, then a summons will land at the door and I want to try and avoid that if I possibly at all can. Court is a last resort for me.

A summons is court ordered and cannot be issued/granted that easily,there is a process to go through and they are generally issued for non payment of fines etc. Which you haven't received?Basically it doesn't work like that. Iv listened to my parent who worked as guard in the courthouse as I said talk about all these types of situations. I know it's very easy for me to say what I'm saying I'm not in your situation and if I was I'd have that bit of help if you like in dealing with the matter. But as I said last night my advice to you would be stop over thinking it,take a deep breath,get your duck's in a row and calmly walk into your local guada station and ask to speak with a person in charge in relation to a difficulty you are experiencing with a member of the guards. And when you get speaking with that person calmly outline the situation and your worries/concerns. Failing that is there actually somebody you know neighbour/family friend etc who is a guard and might know work with this guard and could have word with them on your behalf? 0862442045 if you wana call me, I can maybe buzz my parent that has experience with these situations and see what advice they offer,but I'm sure it will be more or less what iv said. My other parent is retired out of guards for nearly 20years they would probably say tell him to fu*k off🤣

Back