engine knock

Ianmc97

Sunday Drivers
so... the dreaded engine knock we've all heard about long story short... i have a 2003 forester with an ej20 running vf48 turbo and all supporting bits tuned by Aounghus power added power moods and tune 20k miles ago 140k miles on it now. backround done here is my question. has anyone dealt with this issue before. at the moment im trying to decide where to from here. how much will it cost to get the engine rebuilt and, if the engine is out already how much more would it be to build it properly. nothing crazy but forged pistons rods and more aggressive cam. would i just be throwing good money after bad and be better off just parting out the car and cutting my losses. Any insight would be welcome especially from someone who has either fixed knock in their own or went and built their engine on a "budget"
thanks in advance

Cheapest and best option is a new short sti motor from subaru and build it up with new gaskets and oil pump

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

any idea ball park what id end up spending on that cant find much online other than built cosworth long blocks for 15k. or who is the best to go to for working on a subaru engine

They used to be 2 grand or so for the block so probably 3-4k finished

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear . The Above is great way to go as you have a new short block , now you can get your own block inspected and vkeahedvabd get bee crank pistons and rods and get it assembled but You can but them new for 2500-2700 euros from Subaru . It?s going to cost you between 4000 and 5000 euros before your fully done mapped up and all .

Only you can decide if the 5k is worth is as a standard 03 forester is not worth that . But it?s up to you if it?s a good car you won?t get much for 5k either

Only you can decide if the 5k is worth is as a standard 03 forester is not worth that . But it?s up to you if it?s a good car you won?t get much for 5k either

it'd break my heart to do it but its looking like ill have to part it out as much as id love to get it back 100% it just doesnt make any financial sense could end up spending 5g to be left with a car worth 5g while could recoup a nice bit as is.

The above the way to go alright yes expensive but done right...

Also mabay worth considering to get a wrx motor (presuming ECU will run it) and get it put in this will give you the more aggressive cam.. or same forester motor see the wrx motors going for small money every now and then..

Will be no guarantee wont knock on startup though as second hand.

Food for thought?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Having done a full rebuild before which cost me 7k it is not financially worth it unless the car is very special,

If I had my time over again I wouldn't have done it to be honest

Joe's right. 5-6k all in job. Provided it all goes right. Assuming someone else is doing it all.

It's really a case of how much you're attached to the forster or not.

Not spending the 5k, breaking it for parts over time, you may actually make 5k+.

Buy something else that's working.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not spending the 5k, breaking it for parts over time, you may actually make 5k+.

Buy something else that's working.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

took the evening starting to tear down the car for inspection and crunching numbers i think im just gonna part it out have a nice list of bits accumulated over the last while ill put up a list of some of the stuff i have on the for sale section in the next day or 2.

Sorry to hear the bad news lad

There was a lad on here last year or the year before in a very similar situation to yourself and I think he rebuilt, you should talk to him and ask his opinion on rebuilding or not

Last edited:
so ive decided to part out the forester. i was trying to post all the items on this site first to give members first dibs i have the 3o posts required but i have no option to post a thread in the for sale section. does anyone here know am i missing something or what? if anyone senior in the club has any idea send me a pm please. thanks in advance

Back