Engine Knock/rattle

Fingers crossed anyway. Ill get a lad i know who's a mechanic to take a look before i bring it anywhere :thumbsup:

We have Cosworth 2.5L short blocks on the shelf :

# Cosworth EJ25 short block includes the following:
# New Subaru EJ25 STI Engine case
# New Subaru EJ25 STI Forged Crankshaft
# Cosworth Forged H-beam Connecting Rods
# Cosworth Forged Pistons and rings
# Cosworth Coated, Tri-metal bearings
# Balanced to within .5 gram
# Complete blue-print assembly
# Ring gap checked
# Bearing clearance checked
# Deck height checked
# Connecting Rod side clearance checked
# Crankshaft end float checked

The short block is assembled by Cosworth in house. You will need the following bits to complete the long block:

Heads
Headgaskets
Oil Pump
Timing Belt kit
Water Pump

See here : http://www.cosworth.com/Default.aspx?id=1091700

If you want a price, PM me and I can quote you both on fitting + running in the engine or to just supply.

Cheers lads.
Load of balls alright.
Im going to make a few phone calls on monday and work out the various options i have

jesus matt, sorry to hear that ,hopefully it not the bottom end and it something silly

check to see is the crank pulley loose matt....my leggy sounded like the bottom end was on the way out a few months back and it turned out to be the crank pulley vibrating/moving causing the knocking sound.....

Hi Johnny
Which one is the crank pully?
I had a listen this morning while the engine was running. Couldnt hear anything out the ordinary until a revved the engine a bit. Didnt sound right thats for sure but couldnt tell exactly where the noise was comin from :thumbsup:

Hi Matt,

After driving yours so recently fook thats a shock. Such a tight motor..

I won't shamelessly plug as above or whole site start to go weird, as its not my style but doing feck all tomorrow (sunday) and no bother dropping over to ye have a listen..

cheers lad

DAVE

[quote author=Matt link=topic=16375.msg201320#msg201320 date=1247354851]
Hi Johnny
Which one is the crank pully?
I had a listen this morning while the engine was running. Couldnt hear anything out the ordinary until a revved the engine a bit. Didnt sound right thats for sure but couldnt tell exactly where the noise was comin from :thumbsup:

[/quote] when your looking at the engine its the one on the bottom :thumbsup:

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=16375.msg201324#msg201324 date=1247356399]
Hi Matt,

After driving yours so recently fook thats a shock. Such a tight motor..

I won't shamelessly plug as above or whole site start to go weird, as its not my style but doing feck all tomorrow (sunday) and no bother dropping over to ye have a listen..

cheers lad

DAVE
[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah hope not brian
Its a strange one alright. Was out in the car for a good 2 hours last sunday on the back roads driving it like its supposed to be driven and not a bother on it, ran like a dream.
Down the shops later that day too and all was well.
Then Friday evening, after not driving the car all week we went over to her parents which is about 12km away. So i started the car about 10min before we left so it could warm up.
I didnt drive slowly when in the car but i didnt go over 6000rpm and only notice the noise as we pulled upto her parents house :dontknow:
Ill see how i get on withit and let you know :thumbsup:

Just had Dave from Sti Tuning call out to me and look at the car. Appreciate it dave :thumbsup:

Started the car and there's a definite knocking from the centre of the engine.
Took the plugs out and Dave put the camera into each cylinder for a look and found oil on one piston in particular.
But he said this may not be related to the knocking.
So now ive to weigh up the options of a rebuild or a new short motor.

Personally

I would rebuild what u have at the min man...... Probably cheaper option...... then when ur a bit more flush, ya can get the short block built to the spec u want......

@ Hammie
Just trying to figure if its worth rebuilding as i think ill need new bearings, new piston rings, head gaskets and oil pump plus the labour ontop.
I know it may be the cheaper option but is it kind of a waste of money at the same time :dontknow:

Hey Matt...

Sorry to hear of the troubles your having! Fingers crossed you can get it mended on the cheap and get back out on the road soon! :pray:

Just a thought... credit card with 6 months interest free... all the banks are offering em and you could pay it off slowly in monthly instalments! As I said....just a thought!

Best of luck!!

Jamie.. :thumbsup:

I suppose the cheapest option is just to rebuild your own motor,
Sure ACL bearings are cheaper than subaru ones, Maybe add forged pistons if yo want some extra security!
Sorry for your troubles man!
Dan

Back