engine gone,a new beginning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You show me stats to suggest mapping verus non mapping ie.how many mapped cars with engine blown and non mapped cars with engine gone,i beat you find theres not much in the difference, and to suggest that a type r with no mods needs mapping is just puts the prices on the cars lower and lower ,engines go mapped or not its how there driven.i find it funny that everyone keeps stating fuel,100 ron in japan 95 in ireland as simple as that,its not ,altitude, tempeture, viscosity all have effects on fuel, engine parts as they are built for a different country.and before the posts start im a aeronautical enigneer of 12 years and have studied the subject in regards to jet engines flying long hauls its the same principle,i agree with mapping on cars that have had work done as the dynamics of the car has changed.but for a standard car i cant see the benefit.

Why would anyone put time and effort to find stats and show them too you? I dont think anyone really cares whether you map your car or not.
Posted by: fat-controller
Insert Quote
so basically dont get your car mapped waste of money, seems to be the trend in this post

You went and made this finding and i cant see anywhere in posts that this was suggested, all i can see are people trying to explain that mapping, previous owner etc etc are not to blame, that engines can go in sports cars regardless.

Its hard to judge how effective mapping is at saving the jap engine, when they have spent best part of there life in Japan, and usually there is no service record or indication of how it was treated, that was my point, my engine was doomed the minute it was thrown together in Japan, and mapping could never reverse that.

You have introduced viscositys, temperature, altitude etc etc to debate, but to simplifly things and rule out damage already done in japan.. if you could buy a brand new Type R tomorrow from Japan with 0 miles on it and its ment for 100 or 101 octane, would you go ahead drive it here on 95 octane without mapping it
?

[quote author=gretts-WRseX link=topic=20101.msg244902#msg244902 date=1262096558]
[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=20101.msg244808#msg244808 date=1262036909]
as above.... car was also sold as seen and was perfect when the deal was done...
who is to say how it was driven and treated after the deal was done i know the
lad that sold the car and is one of the most honest lads you will ever meet.....
it was sold at a bargain €6,500
[/quote]

not much of a bargain now!!

and who's to say it wasn't sold knowing it was fuked
[/quote]

because if it was you would know straight away have you ever heard what an impreza sounds
like with the big ends gone?????

steve would hardly drive from dublin to portlaois knowing the engine was no its last legs. He's a sound lad anyway. Just very hard luck on the new owners part.

I think everyone should stop the blame game, leave that between the seller and buyer. Buying anything 2nd hand has its risks not just with cars end of. Now back on topic. I would contact Ali burrows, he put a new sti 8 short block in mine along with a few other goodies. I drove it for 1k miles with very lite load not letting boost build and done 3 oil changes within that period as Ali had advised then had Andy Forrest map it. That was almost a year ago now. I don't do much mileage as its only a weekend car but service it very often and always warm it up before driving and cool it down before knocking it off. Simple things like this can prolong the life of your engine. Good luck with getting it sorted and i'm sure you will be happy once its running 100% :thumbsup:

[quote author=fat-controller link=topic=20101.msg244960#msg244960 date=1262124410]
You show me stats to suggest mapping verus non mapping ie.how many mapped cars with engine blown and non mapped cars with engine gone,i beat you find theres not much in the difference, and to suggest that a type r with no mods needs mapping is just puts the prices on the cars lower and lower ,engines go mapped or not its how there driven.i find it funny that everyone keeps stating fuel,100 ron in japan 95 in ireland as simple as that,its not ,altitude, tempeture, viscosity all have effects on fuel, engine parts as they are built for a different country.and before the posts start im a aeronautical enigneer of 12 years and have studied the subject in regards to jet engines flying long hauls its the same principle,i agree with mapping on cars that have had work done as the dynamics of the car has changed.but for a standard car i cant see the benefit.
[/quote]

Yes of course it depends on how an engine is treated, what oil is used is also very important, I would say the most important issue when looking at big end failures..you here lots of stories about lads putting diesel or gearbox oil into a car to hide the rattle for a few days..not saying this happened here but it does happen especailly with 200sx's and silvias... mapping won't prevent you from spinning a big end so for this issue it is irrelevant, mapping reduceds the risk of piston failure due to knock or detonation, this is caused by lower octane fuel...that's an accepted fact..the ECU on a rev d b4 (the desno unit) goes into a "safe" mode went it detects knock and redcues the boost ...put octnae booster in and rasie the octane level of the the fuel and it doesn't happen.

This has gone way off-topic so its getting locked.

Any genuine answers or suggestions for the original poster can be pm'd to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back