En-lighten me

mac mac

ISDC Club Member
Hello ladies and gents , aint realy been on much the past 6 months , mainly jus popping in and out to keep an eye on you's . hope all keeping well

So last year with the club we did the ring trip and as usual , it was epic . i had a few issue's and mainly with the help of joe , baz and dave (hope i havnt forgot anyone but possible) we made it across europe and back .

when back in IRL she was parked up and not seen much use bar weekly start and 2 min spin . a list was made of niggles/fixes that needed to be given attention , some small some not so small . but like all good intentions, life kinda got in the way and the list wasnt really looked at . jus kept the weekly spin to keep the cogs turning .

so now Janurary ,new year, new start .... plus nct due is in the post so have to get the finger out and tip away at list to get it back to where it was .

first job - passo dip light not working .

so iv had this issue for quite a while, started off with bulb turnig itself off sometimes ,after turning lights on . fix for a while was turn off lights at stalk and turn them back on ,bulb worked fine . this issue got progressivly worse as off/on trick stopped working . thinking it was more bulb related .got a new one installed by dave, but on collection bulb was not light as it was 5min b4 upon check by dave . so after a quick fettle , it was discovered it was blowing fuse as soon lights turned on at stalk . Being close to lift off dave had another look but couldnt find issue, i swapped stalk from mates bug but no joy there either , so went to germany and only drove during daylight as to avoid any hassle .

hopefully when i get this fixed , a simple exhaust swap should get through nct and then onto rest of THE LIST .

so here i am looking for someone to help get this issue sorted . any help appriciated .

Was the ballest replaced or changed as I’m guessing there hid bulbs or 1 or the other id guess if the wiring is factory there ain’t a whole lot else involved

My ballasts were a pain in the hole as they are at the bottom of the headlight and often suffer from moisture. I got a really nice led replacement kit from mcg so no more trouble in that department and can't tell the difference

I had a similar problem with mine once. It got new bulbs but one would always work intermittently. I took the whole lamp out and there was water seeping in behind so I got caravan/boat sealant and put a thin layer around the housing. Solved my problem.

Most likely a ballast issue mac if the wiring checks out ok .
Luke’s solution cuts out a lot of messing

Hello ladies and gents , aint realy been on much the past 6 months , mainly jus popping in and out to keep an eye on you's . hope all keeping well

So last year with the club we did the ring trip and as usual , it was epic . i had a few issue's and mainly with the help of joe , baz and dave (hope i havnt forgot anyone but possible) we made it across europe and back .

when back in IRL she was parked up and not seen much use bar weekly start and 2 min spin . a list was made of niggles/fixes that needed to be given attention , some small some not so small . but like all good intentions, life kinda got in the way and the list wasnt really looked at . jus kept the weekly spin to keep the cogs turning .

so now Janurary ,new year, new start .... plus nct due is in the post so have to get the finger out and tip away at list to get it back to where it was .

first job - passo dip light not working .

so iv had this issue for quite a while, started off with bulb turnig itself off sometimes ,after turning lights on . fix for a while was turn off lights at stalk and turn them back on ,bulb worked fine . this issue got progressivly worse as off/on trick stopped working . thinking it was more bulb related .got a new one installed by dave, but on collection bulb was not light as it was 5min b4 upon check by dave . so after a quick fettle , it was discovered it was blowing fuse as soon lights turned on at stalk . Being close to lift off dave had another look but couldnt find issue, i swapped stalk from mates bug but no joy there either , so went to germany and only drove during daylight as to avoid any hassle .

hopefully when i get this fixed , a simple exhaust swap should get through nct and then onto rest of THE LIST .

so here i am looking for someone to help get this issue sorted . any help appriciated .
I've heard of the ballasts on them giving bother so could be that as said mac. The ballast unit on them is bolted to the front bumper bar so might not be easy to remove. As baz says check the wiring

@joe , no ballast replaced according to my memory

@luke , that led kit sounds like the best option atm , any link/price or jus give mcg a shout ? who fitted or DIY?

@sherif seems to be a bit common so

@ baz agreed , dave had look and couldnt find fault , yeah luke's fix seems to be best bet i reckon . if got would you fancy tackling it ?

@ gordo yeah ,bit common by sounds of it , reckon luks idea is direction to go with to future proof aswell

Just get a led replacement kit for d3s bulbs I think they are but if you look at the top of the headlight near the front panel it's written on it what bulbs go in

I just went into mcg told them what car it was and he had 2 options on the shelf. Think they cost me 80 or something like that. Yes I done them myself easy job when the headlight are out. I got a nice small bulb with a small fan so all sits inside my headlight

20230118_092542.jpg
Update : So went and got above led kit from mcg on lukes advice . Brought to baz ' and not only did he sort lights , 'but also took care of two other issue on the list .
Plenty more jobs on list , but progress is progress . Thanks for above advice and help .

Anybody using LEDs in their GC8s? I've heard the GC8s don't really like headlight upgrades, overheating etc etc

Back