Ecutek ECU - much good?

Wagon Rob

Octane Boostaholics
Stumbled across this on Adverts and wondered if it was cheap for a reason of If it's actually good? Says it comes with a licence (whatever that means) and should fit our car.

Is this a re-mappable unit? Is there anywhere in Ireland who could map it? Would it be handy to have put aside in case we ever change the turbo? Is €120 cheap?

Sorry for so many questions.

http://touch.adverts.ie/other/subaru-impreza-gc8-parts/5894286

To get an ecutek remap from a tuner costs around 700 a fair chunk of that is a licence free the tuner has to stump up to ecutek each time their software is used
Trouble with this is because ecutek uses the original cars ecu it looks no different and you can't tell if its been tuned or not also as it's now gonna be used in a different car it will need remapped again to suit it
I did buy one off another member here with licence installed for my gc8 and checked with my chosen tuner that he would remap it as it wasn't his work originally on it and yes it all worked out cheaper than 700 and car drove fab afterwards
So at that money I'd say take a chance

If indeed it fits your car and has the ECUtek license on it then it is very good value, as the license is £150 (so about €180 ish).

As per the previous poster: Do NOT expect this to run safely without getting it remapped to suit your car or you will damage your engine! Because the license is already on the ECU it will be cheaper to get it mapped as will only need to pay for the mapper's time (so expect around the €350-400 mark for a new map).

So if it legit with licence and all, is there anywhere in Ireland that can map it or would it have to go to the UK?

I got mine with uk mapper that comes here every few months
Simon from jolly green monster look him up on the net of there are other based in Irl but I havnt used

There is no way to verify it has the licence unless a mapper with ecutek software plugs it in so be very careful when buying. You could maybe ask who mapped it previously and check the serial number with them.

The fact that is says it fits jap or uk cars wouldn't inspire confidence.

i have an ecutek licenced ecu from my bug sti ,remapped by pat H and bob R , with stage 1 mods . was gonna stick up on donedeal for the 200 but jus havnt got around to it .

im sure some of the irish mappers or some of the english one that come over from time to time would be able to tweak it to your cars. but ask them first to be sure .

Jap won't fit uk cam sensor position different on ecu possibly something else also
No need for ecutek map
A mapper can do a open source map on your existing ecu
I wouldn't bother if I where you :thumbsup:

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=42379.msg485544#msg485544 date=1407084039]
Jap won't fit uk cam sensor position different on ecu possibly something else also
No need for ecutek map
[/quote]

Totally agree there

No need for ecutek map
[/quote]

Not correct info.

Cannot do open source on classic impreza v5/6 ecu. So ecutek is the option really unless something new has developed in last couple months.

Jdm difference is cam and crank sensor opposite way round.

Cant see subaru part number in ad but Y7 i believe is uk 99 uk/euro turbo 2000. So will need programming to key at a main dealer.

[quote author=nivek4209 link=topic=42379.msg485554#msg485554 date=1407092423]
I didn't need dealer to program key and mine was Gordon's old GT2 into a uk turbo ??
[/quote]

Possible mapper sorted.?

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=42379.msg485555#msg485555 date=1407094408]
[quote author=nivek4209 link=topic=42379.msg485554#msg485554 date=1407092423]
I didn't need dealer to program key and mine was Gordon's old GT2 into a uk turbo ??
[/quote]

Possible mapper sorted.?
[/quote]
Can't be as I fitted the ecu before I met Simon car ran fine I just took it real easy

No need for ecutek map
[/quote]
Just reading back on this now while I have a few mins. What's this about open source mapping? My existing ecu can be mapped? Expensive? Is it just basic mapping or more advanced than that? Could it be mapped for a couple of boost settings? Who in Ireland does it?

Pick up an ecu you know for sure has the ecutek licence on it is the cheapest and easiest option or pick up a 2nd hand aftermarket ecu like an Apexi fc but that will probably end up the same cost as ecuteking your own ecu.
I wouldnt worry too much about jap or Irish/uk ecu as that will be easily fixed by swapping couple of pins around...
Make sure you get the correct version to match your car.

If we knew what tuning you were wanting to do we might be able to advise you better

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42379.msg486921#msg486921 date=1408468334]
If we knew what tuning you were wanting to do we might be able to advise you better
[/quote]
Target (or daydream) is a reliable 300bhp everyday driver. Don't want to go to town on it - been there and ended in heartache - just want simple exhaust for a better note and remap. Upgraded fuel pump if necessary. Suspension is fine. Brakes are grand.

Want to do as little as needed so as not to overly complicate things.

Probably some small cosmetic changes down the line, but engine/drivetrain left relatively alone and just serviced regularly and not abused.

Back