ECU Swop

Celtic54

ISDC Club Member
Hi
I am currently working on a Subaru Impreza WRX 1997, and I have a problem with the ECU, not communicating with the ignition ignitor, as a consequence having a problem getting a spark to ignite the engine, I am not sure that the current ECU is the current one for this car ( see picture attached). So my questions are as follows:
  1. How do you confirm that the existing ECU is the proper and correct one for my car.
  2. What information do I need to purchase a replacement ECU for my car.
  3. What are the necessary steps in the replacement process for removal and replacing of a ECU.
  4. ECU Subaru Impreza Wrx 1997.jpg

Is it the ignitor module itself that’s the problem?
Hi

No not the ignitor, the are signal issues to ignitor from the ECU. One signal is good the other very weak to intermittent. Checked the wiring from the ECU to the Ignitor all ok, checked the camshaft sensor signal, crankshaft signal right to the ECU all ok. Checked the signal going to the ignitor from the ECU, right at the ECU with the result being signal strong on one, signal very weak on the other.

Iv an ecu from a jdm blob from olly , wont be using it for another 2 weeks if any use to plug in and see ??

Yes 100%
They are 6+ years apart and different models

You need one from a 97 version 3 wrx to rule out an ecu problem

You would want to be sure it’s a Wrx aswell as in Jap, and not a U.K. turbo as pin outs will more than likely be different

Thanks for the info will update once i have an ecu located, will also let you if it resolved all ignition issues.

Back