Does anyone know this car?

Don't know the car

But from the engine pic it looks like it was originally a white car?

Sligo daves old car don't know if that's the real pic of the engine as Duffman pointed out strut towers look white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car was resprayed in Japan so explains the White in the engine bay[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my mate and I went to see the car today. It's still in good shape overall, except it may need some cleaning inside.
The owner said after buying it from previous guy the engine went with usual bottom end knocking after 7k kms
They took the block and bottom end from another crashed car, put new rings on pistons as the original were still good.
The guy had no idea whether the donor engine was STi or WRX and it's difficult to know exactly now. We took the engine number from the block and will try to confirm with Subaru dealer on Tuesday.

Another thing that concerns me.. is that the guy didn't know if its still running on Mines ECU or the ecu had been changed. It has a boost gauge and when I pushed it, it didn't show more than 0.7bar on every gear. there is no additional boost controller in the car and as far as I know, the boost on v5 sti should be 1.1 bar?

ECU is not a problem as I have 3 lying about, but if the engine was still running on Mines which is usually set up on 102ron Jap Fuel, it's no good.

To be honest sounds like more of a botch job that a rebuild stick it back together and move it on but I could be wrong

I drove the car a couple of times while sligodave had it if I remember correctly it was boosting around 1.2 bar the standard boost for a sti is 0.9 and I think it had been remapped but not 100% on that he always ran it on octane booster

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=44363.msg512767#msg512767 date=1428149733]
To be honest sounds like more of a botch job that a rebuild stick it back together and move it on but I could be wrong
[/quote]
As above

Thanks for the info. Is the boost controlled entirely by the ecu on standard Sti? No way it could have been turned down somewhere else?
The reason I'm asking is that I have never dealt with standard subarus before. Mine came with apexi ecu initially.

you would be mad to buy this car unless getting if very cheap and plan for a engine build and map and really a respray back to white or full strip and go blue.

theres far better cars out there to start off with imo

Hey Johnny

We might have it for 3k. and other than uncertainties regarding the engine rebuild, the car is in good condition. The engine is running very well, it's dry and quiet. And Im thinking that the gauge may not showing full boost, or something has been done to it to lower the boost. Since the rebuild it has done 5000 km and passed the NCT.
I checked the bodywork and the car is straight.
Except some tlc it doesn't require much. I have a standard ECU which we could try to fit in case the Mines ECU is still on it.

I'm not sure where you are seeing these better cars out there.. it's really hard to find a decent classic these days.
In case of Subarus, you can buy a minter and the engine may go bang anyways as you never know its history. I've learned hard on the example of my own car. It came with receipts for engine rebuild worth 4000 eur and the bottom end went 8k miles later.

Considering this car is a 98 v5 STi I think it's worth the 3k eur.

Car is gone did he buy it :dontknow: best of luck if he did :thumbsup: your right good classics are thin on the ground all the more reason to have a good look around and make sure it's not a money pit :thumbsup:
Wasn't trying to talk it down it's just usually when someone's does a rebuilt they know exactly what was done and by who :thumbsup:

Back