Daily runner then lpg?

FL410

In my research with a goal of having an sti or wrx as a daily enterprise the lpg route looks like a winner
Ideally i d like to keep any car I get for two years. That said I want it to be as efficient as I can have it .
With the price of lpg ATM , providing no sharp increase in price it seems very affordable
With the lpg half that of petrol are my figures correct in saying between the lpg and reg petrol vs petrol alone , that I would see a return of 30mpg vs 22 on a cost for cost basis ?

Installation is priecey if done right... which it needs to be. You'd want to do big mileage or keep it for a long time to get your moneys woth out of it.

60x 1.53 = 91.8 euro
60x .80 = 48euro ( tank depending )
Combined spend 139.8
60/4.55x22mpg = 290mpt av.
48/4.55x22mgp = 232mpt av. Combined 522 miles for 139.8 euro
Gas using 20% more

Vs petrol , to cover same 522 miles
522/22x4.55x1.53 = 165 euro

That's not taking into account percentage either fuel used on a run

I've had two LPG cars. One was a 2.2i Mazda 626, which I had here for about 2 years and did the conversion on myself. This was in 96-97 and at that time you could get a fill in quite a few places. Nowadays don't see it anywhere, which is a real pity as much cheaper and apart from the reduced boot space due to the tank there really aren't any drawbacks.

The other car was a Volvo V70 2.5i off factory LPG, but that was in the Netherlands.

For consumption I'd say 20% is a bit pessimistic and would say 10-15% would be closer depending on car, system used and potential map optimizations.

Emits less CO2 as well so don't understand why not pushed /supported more by the government to try help us meet our targets and save drivers a god bit of cash in the process.

The government gets a huge percentage slice of all our fuel purchases so it's not in their interest to push a product that will reduce this.
They only "care" about the environment when it's an excuse to slap on more carbon taxes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Re: Re: Daily runner then lpg?

[quote author=FL410 link=topic=40952.msg1#msg1 date=1393498886]
60x 1.53 = 91.8 euro
60x .80 = 48euro ( tank depending )
Combined spend 139.8
60/4.55x22mpg = 290mpt av.
48/4.55x22mgp = 232mpt av. Combined 522 miles for 139.8 euro
Gas using 20% more

Vs petrol , to cover same 522 miles
522/22x4.55x1.53 = 165 euro

That's not taking into account percentage either fuel used on a run
[/quote]

So lpg saving on those calculations e25.00 per 500 miles say.

So at a cost of around e1200 to install you would need to do about 24,000 miles to break even before you start to save money??

so after 48,000 miles you have saved only e1200.00

And if it is on a subaru then whilst enjoying yourself mpg obviously will fall a bit. so basically 50,000 miles to save only e1000. And the hassle on top of finding somewhere sells it.

Are my calculations correct based on above figures???

Just did some calculations too..

50k kms
petrol consumption 12L/100km = 6000L * €1.59 = €9540
LPG consumption ~ 13.8L/100km = 6900L * €0.80 = €5520
However, you will also use some petrol when driving an LPG car... approx. 5% avg if doing reasonable mileage, but up to 10% if doing regular short journeys.

Hence the LPG cost for 50k kms will be €5520+477=€5997

Fuel Saving on 50k kms hence will be €9540-5997=€3543

The LPG conversion is going to set you back around €1200 mark too.
Hence only worth it if doing big miles or keeping the car for years.
AND of course, if near a place that sells LPG as I think this will be biggest barrier - otherwise you still end up driving on petrol and your savings go out the window!

Keep in mind that you need to change plugs a bit more often when running LPG and need a bit more valve clearance to stop valve seats burning (hence some engines better suited than others).
On the upside, because much higher octane... we could get a lot more gains with compression and timing to see quite a bit of additional power :icon_grin: (disclaimer might use a good bit more fuel too ha ha)

@p1impreza...Why get one when worrying about cost ?
Only way I can answer that is , I pay enough tax, too much !
1 liter petrol = 1.53 avg 66% is tax and 34% pays for the fun stuff
No harm in looking into viable alternatives than giving money to that shower....

Plus if there is , a credible , worthwhile alternative to offset cost it allows more enthusiasts to come on board and enjoy their motor!!
And maybe would encourage those who have to leave their cars parked up for week on end the chance to enjoy them more !!

[quote author=FL410 link=topic=40952.msg1#msg1 date=1393611704]
@p1impreza...Why get one when worrying about cost ?
Only way I can answer that is , I pay enough tax, too much !
1 liter petrol = 1.53 avg 66% is tax and 34% pays for the fun stuff
No harm in looking into viable alternatives than giving money to that shower....

Plus if there is , a credible , worthwhile alternative to offset cost it allows more enthusiasts to come on board and enjoy their motor!!
And maybe would encourage those who have to leave their cars parked up for week on end the chance to enjoy them more !!
[/quote]

those parking up for weekend only would want to own them for like 10 years and save about e150 a year.

[/quote]

those parking up for weekend only would want to own them for like 10 years and save about e150 a year.
[/quote]

More savings more driving ..... Instead of these cars being taxed off the road thru fuel cost ...

There's an LPG garage almost in Meath. Heading out of Dublin on the M3 take the 2n exit and there's an LPG garage a bit down the road on the left. Only thing is the road has pot holes the size of buckets!

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=40952.msg468819#msg468819 date=1393668740]
My P1 is taxed for the year and is used nearly every 2nd day

Bought to use and enjoy
[/quote]

Lovely car and fair play ... However that's not the point I am trying to make ..
All I am doing is offering debate on cheaper alternatives than giving varadker 66% a tank

Back