Compression Testing

Aido 8sti

Hi guys
So I like to know is it a must before buying. Its just that I have seen it on a wrx buying guide a while back and I really like to know what you guys think or what way you guys went about buying.

Im not a mechanic so Im just trying to learn as much as I can so I dont get stung.

Regards Aidan

It gives a general indication of engine health but won?t give the whole story.

There is a lot of stripping involved on both sides of the engine , air box on the drivers , washers bottle and possibly battery (depending on how familiar the mechanic or yourself is with Subarus) and can take 30-40mins

Most owners when buying a 3-6k car won?t entertain you looking to do a compression test . I?m my view no need in that price range of car . If it ticks over fine , no smoke or knocks has some service history or maintenance recently with belt changed then there no need .
Buy off a garage if you need a warranty or bring someone who knows what?s the looking for .
But even doing a compression and all is good and you buy the car , it could melt a piston or drop a valve 1 klm Down the road so there?s no guarantee

That car you posted above needs to be cleared . Vrt. Could be 1000-4000 + 7 for the car is 8k-11k . Can you insure an Sti ? As I?d be checking that before you buy 1 .

It really depends on what you want and what your budget is . Blob Sti will be 13-18k Wrx will be 4-8k and with a few mods on the Wrx you can be up near sti power . It really depends what you want .

Best advice I can give is buy a good car that?s being looked after :thumbsup:

Awesome thanks, I cant see that post I posted from this end, thought it didnt go through lol

That blob you posted in Tyrone is a wrx made look like sti wide track so your buying a wrx with a few nice bits on it.

Becareful jumping into a car that needs a rebuilt engine is it classic or new age 2.0l or 2.5 post up ad if you have one lads might be able to help you more

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

3K+ Best case scenario if most stuff is ok but you won?t know that till you strip it down but would want to budget 5k by time your back on the road with run in And map :thumbsup:

3K+ Best case scenario if most stuff is ok but you won?t know that till you strip it down but would want to budget 5k by time your back on the road with run in And map :thumbsup:
Thanks Scoobysub, 5K for a rebuilt engine not bad, who is the go to guy for a rebuild in Ireland or are you guys going to the UK ???

Thanks very much guys, had a wee search there looks like there is a good builder down north, handy for a change lol, I had to send my RX8 to the UK:icon_sad:

Hi guys
So I like to know is it a must before buying. Its just that I have seen it on a wrx buying guide a while back and I really like to know what you guys think or what way you guys went about buying.

Im not a mechanic so Im just trying to learn as much as I can so I dont get stung.

Regards Aidan

if there is a boost gauge fitted in the car at idle with engine warm it should be rock steady somewhere between 17-21 inches of mercury, the higher the better. give the engine a rev when you release the throttle it should drop back to about 25 inhg and then go back to 17-21 at idle.
that will give you general indication of health of engine

Back