Co2 Tax today

car driver

Sunday Drivers
Does anyone have any idea of the emmissions that Subarus produce I am particularly talking about WRXS and STIS.
I can imagine that they are probably at the higher end of CO2 tax bands announced today and if thats the case that will have serious implications on ownership costs.
It will also impact hugely on the value of our cars especially if considering trading in as I can see a situation where garges will not be interested in taking them in ,
I have already had that experience in recent weeks ,

Hello Sub555,

The new CO2 taxes both VRT and Motor tax only applies to cars bought and reg'ed in July 2008. Therefore all other cars will not be affected by the announcement yesterday  :thumbsup:

I checked out the 2008WRX on the UK website today. Even the WRX has a rating of 246g/km so this will be in the €2000k yearly tax bracket. The STI will obviously be the same  :angry:

So anyone thinking of buying a new Subaru next year, buy it early  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael
PS we still have the rip of 9.5% increase in car tax though :doh:

So would I be right in thinking that if i was to import a car before July 08 then i would be charged the current vrt rate of 30% of the omsp and the tax at the new rate +9.5% for the life of the vehicle however if the same car is imported after July then the tax for the vehicle will be €2000 for the life of the vehicle? Surly this will have an increase in the price of older cars already in the market as they will be cheaper (and not just by a couple of yoyo's a year) to tax.

Also how long will the two tier taxing continue, will there be a cut off point when all vehicles will fall into the new tax brackets.

One more question, if I am reading into it correctly and the vehicle purchased before July is cheaper to tax on an ongoing basis will this incentive be kept with the life of the vehicle or the life of the current owner?

Back