Classic rear tail light seals

Pablo85

Sunday Drivers
Evening all

I?ve previously posted about the leak I have been plagued with in the car and this tail light is one of the leaking points on the right hand side - also leaking around the vent/flap behind right side of the bumper and going into the arch skin which I?ve caught on time.

The rear tail lights seal which is the black gungy stuff Subaru used originally.

1. For those of you who replaced / re sealed rear lights on a classic - what?s the best Stuff to use or is there a proper gasket that can be bought??

2 . Has anyone had an issue with the vent at the SIDE behind the bumper??

I would appreciate any advice especially from those who have previous experience with these issues,I am desperately trying to put the car back on the road now.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget the car I?ll just take her [emoji108][emoji108][emoji23]

Looks good stuff Kieran [emoji106][emoji106]

Forget the car I?ll just take her [emoji108][emoji108][emoji23]

Looks good stuff Kieran [emoji106][emoji106]

Ha

Its "Ciaran"[emoji14]

Should have enough for you to do tail light here if you want some[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ha

Its "Ciaran"[emoji14]

Should have enough for you to do tail light here if you want some[emoji106]

Something like that ... sorry CIARAN [emoji23][emoji23]

definitely take you up on that my friend will pop up to you this week - looked at the order time for the tape and it?s into January.

Something like that ... sorry CIARAN [emoji23][emoji23]

definitely take you up on that my friend will pop up to you this week - looked at the order time for the tape and it?s into January.

Order it anyway real handy to have it there[emoji106]

Np giz a shout when suits[emoji106]

Order it anyway real handy to have it there[emoji106]

Np giz a shout when suits[emoji106]

Yes will definitely order it.

Now this is to bond the actual tail light to the metal body on the car? Not to actually bond the cluster housing together!

I have the same issue with the recent heavy rain and have that stuff ordered .
Have a look at the seem sealer around where the panels meet at the point where the tail lamps mount, I had a slight crack and water was getting in there aswell as the tail lamp seals .

I have the same issue with the recent heavy rain and have that stuff ordered .
Have a look at the seem sealer around where the panels meet at the point where the tail lamps mount, I had a slight crack and water was getting in there aswell as the tail lamp seals .

Ithanks Baz

Is there a seam there when the actual tail is removed?
When I i was testing with water on the rear light - the water was spilling in around the vent at the side of the bumper - would this be the seam it?s getting through??

I can sort out leaks anywhere but my car no not a ****n hope [emoji2359][emoji23][emoji23]

In the boot for you [emoji106]
2df8cc37f1584e9441a24e0b52de4960.jpg

0efb91bcdb7184b5d4ba974da1cdc12d.jpg

Top man Ciaran really appreciate that what a club [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Ithanks Baz

Is there a seam there when the actual tail is removed?
When I i was testing with water on the rear light - the water was spilling in around the vent at the side of the bumper - would this be the seam it?s getting through??

I can sort out leaks anywhere but my car no not a ****n hope [emoji2359][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji23]

No it?s actually around the top edge of where the light bolts in

a leak in boot of a classic is normally the bootlid seal itself , small money to buy on import car parts

[emoji23][emoji23]

No it?s actually around the top edge of where the light bolts in

I had a small leak in same place where panels meet and ovelap too they are outside of boot seal

Big shout out to Ciaran WRX giving me the butyl tape - my rear light sealed so well and the seal on the vent flap at the side of the bumper ,tested with water and it?s 100% ,my goal was to get the car insured ,taxed and dry in a matter of days ,and she?s back on the road ,serious grins driving around with a pal yesterday [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Last edited:
Well done Paul nice to have that job out of the way must get my own boot sorted with a few days off how?s the whiplash hopefully it?s settled [emoji24][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Well done Paul nice to have that job out of the way must get my own boot sorted with a few days off how?s the whiplash hopefully it?s settled [emoji24][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Yea it sure is man , yea youre boot is next ,could be something minor too!!

whip lash very bad I spoke to a solicitor during the week,they?ll be in touch with you
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Result Good Work [emoji106]

Glad your back enjoying her [emoji122]

Back