Chirping sound from WRC cars

kbox

Octane Boostaholics
I know this has probably been asked lots of times before but its a chance for you guys to show your knowledge again. What makes the chirping noise on the WRC cars?

Wastegate chatter myth
There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter" or "turbo flutter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake and is often stated incorrectly as being a result of the turbo's wastegate closing.

The noise is in fact the air compressed by the turbo passing back through the compressor wheel of the turbo after the airflow is abruptly halted by the throttle plate closing. However, in some cases, i.e. where it doesn't open fast enough or is set up to only react to high boost, some chatter will remain. Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed. Diesels have no use for a Blow off Valve as they do not have a throttle.

The chatter noise is very noticeable on WRC Rally cars, where no blow off valve is allowed.

Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed.

yeah my tdi vw transporter is always makin dem sounds hahahahahahahahahahaha

actually your all wrong it is in fact a small mechanic that is stuffed in the engine bay fixing the car as they go along and when they hit the throttle its a high pitched squeal as the guy has hit his head/body of something in the engine :lol: :lol: :lol:

im not sure if the chirp in a wrc car is because they have no atmospheric dumpvalves, if they have standard recirc valves there might be some chirp. i have heard that the sequetial boxes they use are worked by pressurized canisters which provide the force to change gears and have to replaced with full one when empty and that these canisters can cause the noise when releasing air or what ever their filled with

I believe I was correct.

Taken from www.swrt.com

The Impreza WRC makes a whistling or chirping noise on the stages - where does it come from?
The noise made by the Subaru Impreza WRC comes from the engine - the turbo-charger to be exact. When the driver takes his foot off of the throttle there are less exhaust gasses to keep the turbo spinning and the turbine could slow down. To prevent this happening we developed an anti-lag system to keep the turbine spinning - and it's this pressured system that makes the whistling or chirping noise on deceleration.

Back