cheapest way to gain power

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=5399.msg61510#msg61510 date=1202753542]
Fitting a downpipe alone doesn't require a remap but if you're looking for anything over 260 bhp then you will have to get a remap so you might as well get the fully exhaust system and panel filter. For 280+ on your classic turbo you will need to change your turbo for something the same size but more efficient (TD 04H) or something bigger (td 05 16g, 18g or 20g) and map it for e5 (or e5 plus Octane booster for a bit more bhp & torque).

A far as your original question goes the above options are going to cost you at least 3k fitted and mapped so you might consider the following package which wont break the bank :thumbsup:

1. Fit a K&N Panel filter
2. Fit a Dawes device
3. Fit a second hand full exhaust system
4. Run her on Maxol E5

The above 4 simple and cheap mods should give you a quick car running 1.1 bar reliably with about 250 bhp :)

Frawls

[/quote]

This might be a schoolboy question but what is a dawes device?

Read all about it here

http://www.3barracing.com/product_6.htm

I ran one for years with no problems and it gave my scooby about 12 - 15 bhp totally safely as I ran the boost signal through the ecu so it still cut the fuel if it overboosted. Once you have set it up properly (just below the max overboost level) you just tighten the washers so it wont allow any more boost and that's all that's to it.

I would recommend a good quality flicker-free boost gauge like the Lamco boost gauge when fitting a Dawes Device.

Frawls

Thanks lads , i d just like to say to urabus , bite me you faggot :angry: ( brotherly love eh! ) just cause you went and traded down from a 07 WRX to a 03 STi ............. you wanted your old car ( mine)back up on till then.

there just isnt no cheap way :dunno: could buy a scooby with alot already done to it :subaru:

FRAWLS .I think on a 00 if he puts a decat downpipe WITHOUT MAP OR DAWES DVICE OR BOOST CONTROLER on he will get boost spikes and she will over boost causing that disaster of an over boost defence mechanisim called FUEL CUT, and if he llike the rest of the subaru population he will probably keep the foot to the floor and think it will go away, but it cud be put a hole in piston time. My 00 sti did it with down pipe and i know of a car that went through 2 engines because of it.... every car different do so correct me if im wrong :subaru: id rekon if he has to tek3 it he looking around 1600e for down pipe and map. about 1k if he lucky enuf to have apexi fc already

[quote author=KENC link=topic=5399.msg67375#msg67375 date=1204763005]
FRAWLS .I think on a 00 if he puts a decat downpipe WITHOUT MAP OR DAWES DVICE OR BOOST CONTROLER on he will get boost spikes and she will over boost causing that disaster of an over boost defence mechanisim called FUEL CUT, and if he llike the rest of the subaru population he will probably keep the foot to the floor and think it will go away, but it cud be put a hole in piston time. My 00 sti did it with down pipe and i know of a car that went through 2 engines because of it.... every car different do so correct me if im wrong :subaru: id rekon if he has to tek3 it he looking around 1600e for down pipe and map. about 1k if he lucky enuf to have apexi fc already
[/quote]
Ken, I had the Dawes Device on my OO Impreza Turbo and on my 03 WRX SL both without any problems. The trick is to set it up so that boost signal runs back through the ECU. Believe it or not, Martin Tracey discovered that whoever set up the Dawes Device on my 03 WRX ( I know who it was!) had actually put it in in reverse and incredibly it still worked! Needless to say we did a hasty swap over and it ran eh, well pretty much the same afterwards ie just fine!

I had a full decat 3 inch Scooby Sport system from the Turbo back and I had no boost spike issues. The Dawes Device wont allow boost spikes that's why Andy Forrest swears by them. They are much faster at catching boost spikes that a electronic boost controllers because they are mechanical.

Once you set the Dawes Device up just below the overboost limit the ECU can handle the extra bit of fuelling necessary. If, like me, you set it up a gnat's whisker shy of the overboost limit then you will have to readjust it quite often (weekly or sometimes daily) as she will cut the fuel if the weather turns cold ie increased air pressure, so you could just forego a few bhp and set it up a little more below the overboost limit and just leave it that way all year without ever having to go near it.

As good as the Dawes Device is it's only going to give around 12 to 15 bhp depending on having a decat downpipe and K&N Panel filter or K&N 57i induction kit with STi trumpet but for 60 yo yo's I think it meets the criteria of the cheapest bang for your buck (lets hope not literally though!).

Frawls

[quote author=Darkshadow link=topic=5399.msg67692#msg67692 date=1204845644]
@ swerv555 both strips and stripes :lol: :lol: double the power then

[/quote]i give up ............

[quote author=swerv555 link=topic=5399.msg66739#msg66739 date=1204500521]
Thanks lads , i d just like to say to urabus , bite me you f****t :angry: ( brotherly love eh! ) just cause you went and traded down from a 07 WRX to a 03 STi ............. you wanted your old car ( mine)back up on till then.
[/quote]

Ouch!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
@ Swerv, that's cause the 07 WRX didn't go round the Ring like mine did :D

[quote author=Chara555 link=topic=5399.msg68600#msg68600 date=1205252650]
[quote author=swerv555 link=topic=5399.msg66739#msg66739 date=1204500521]
Thanks lads , i d just like to say to urabus , bite me you f****t :angry: ( brotherly love eh! ) just cause you went and traded down from a 07 WRX to a 03 STi ............. you wanted your old car ( mine)back up on till then.
[/quote]

Ouch!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
@ Swerv, that's cause the 07 WRX didn't go round the Ring like mine did :D
[/quote]
were really throwing down the gauntlet now Lynn......:):)

next time il leave you past on the "ring"............instead of SNIFFING MY DIFF",.......... :dance:

Back