catch can

If you're getting one keith make sure it's a 3 port i've been looking at the obp motorsport ones,very good money for the quality imo and murray motorsport arrle a dealer for them as well

Gordon do you know if that catch can has a pipe on it that you can see the level from outside
also what's the 3rd port for cheers
keith

Thanks for that man I might pop into murrys and see what they have seem very well priced for what they are.

Picked up that catch can today Gordon great bit of kit so well made and very well priced

It's for the fiesta it was piped back into the air intake should have been into a catch can

The same crowd that makes the catch can that keith got ciaran make specific ones for subaru and are 3 port you can get them with or without a baffle and can be got from murray motorsport

Cheers Gordon just curious why people upgrade em

I'll look it up on the www [emoji106]

Ciaran WRX

The standard breather system works on the basis that everything that's vented from heads and crankcase is recirculated into the Inlet pipe, passed through your turbo, intercooler, any I/c piping, throttle body, inlet manifold and finally Into the combustion chamber with the air/ fuel mix where it is burnt off.

All breather vapour will carry oil in it, which will stick to piping, ic , around butterfly in throttle body and when mixed with fuel it can lower the octane.
Depending on the cars use, age, engine condition, boost etc etc the amount of oil that comes from the breathers can increase substantially.

Subarus boxer engine is particularly bad for this, on launch it's inclined to push oil up the back crank case breather.... The more power you have the more it's likely to do it on hard acceleration aswell...

On track especially, hard cornering will cause the oil to work it's way up and be pushed out to the outside head and out the breather, you could empty your sump... It's the boxer engine that's vulnerable as the oil has a horizontal plane to travel along to get to head breather, where as an Evo for example the oil may travel vertical ..

If doing track days, and if going to push the car, a sump baffle plate and a catch can would be a sensible buy... If doing a lot if track days then a return to sump catch can might be justified, I personally don't like return to sump cans on road going cars.

Good info Ken thanks
mine is piped in just after the k&n filter the bottom of the filter has oil in it so I was told by ciaran to get a can as it will zap power by lowering the octain
need a new filter as well me thinks

They do all shapes and sizes very good quality and not mad money they do a nice half lt one but no inspection tube on it
that's why I went for the 1lt one it has the tube handy saves you opening all the time

Main thing on a Subaru is to stick with oem size breather pipes... A lot of non car specific cans will have small ports or not enough for a Subaru... Using smaller than oem hoses can cause back pressure and result in oil usage

I've tried them all cheap ones, home made ones and the grim speed Air/oil separator. All worked ok on the road .
Track use no . 2 hard laps in Mondello would leave half a litre in the catch can .Out through the passo side head breather.

Eventually fitted an rcm track attack return to sump catch can and a rcm baffle plate , that stopped it works fine on the road as well. One of the best mods on the car, fit and forget

Back