Buying cars from the UK what happens now?

scrawnban

Petrolheads
Any one have any ideas what happens now? Will it the the same as importing from outside the EU? I.e. Japan......21% vat, 10% import duty, customs agent paid to clear it with revenue and a long wait parked on the docks?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Any one have any ideas what happens now? Will it the the same as importing from outside the EU? I.e. Japan......21% vat, 10% import duty, customs agent paid to clear it with revenue and a long wait parked on the docks?

Open to correction here, but all depends on what happens on Saturday when the House of Commons votes. If they do not accept the deal then it could mean any number of things, Borris goes for an extension, they pull out of Brexit, a hard Brexit, etc.

Assuming they do accept the deal then as far as I know there will be a two year period where things stay as they are while the UK and EU work out the separation agreement.

But if deal goes through then sterling could rise against the Euro

Awh ok....so when does it go to the importing from outside the EU rules

Awh ok....so when does it go to the importing from outside the EU rules

Assuming they accept a deal then think it can remain as is for 2 years (again I am open to correction), while they work an agreement. All depends then on what agreement is worked out. So maybe a case the VAT thing stays as is to the end user at least or we pay vat like we would on any non EU item.

Hard Brexit would mean as soon as it happens we pay VAT as is. Not sure how this impacts secondhand cars, what rate, etc.

Simple answer is, nobody knows, but I'd say our government are going to destroy us no matter what way it goes. This is one door SIMI and government are trying to close, don't want the private man importing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nothing will happen for a while (if ever) the ?deal? is most probably illegal - case with the Scottish courts at the moment, judgement due before the end of the day. Looks like it won?t get the support needed in any case. So they will seek another extension and then head for a general election. After that, it?s anyones guess but will be a long long time before anything changes.

you should be more worried about the new nox fines on imports from january the 1st

no it wont , and extra 2500k + vrt to import something simple like a 14 golf 1.6 tdi

max fine of 4850 of high emmisons stuff will mean the end of most pre 15 or 16 reg cars

I?m interested to see how 23% duty can be applied to pre Brexit registered UK cars as they already collected duty within the eu zone
My guess is it will be contested and won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought you?d Bought the i30N?

All the money you we?re spending,
Back then..., I?d have thought you?d have seen Brexit coming... ??

So... what?s the next fantasy non Subaru purchase you want to buy on an Irish subaru forum...??

I?ll eat my flute, if you purchase anything other than an Opel.

Fur coat... money...

Yeah you bore me.

Talk buying 24/7.

Send pics and make it happen... for once.

The laughable thing is, the majority of UK imports in this country probabably came through SIMI dealers. Majority of our used GTD's and GTI's were bulk bought UK Imports.

New budget is designed to push the new car market in ROI. That'll happen regardless of what happens with Brexit, because even in a no-deal situation I can't see sterling crashing enough where a used import with the NOx fines will be cheaper than buying one here.

In all fairness, it is a clever ruse to keep Irish money in the country.

Clever way of keeping money going through Simi dealers, Irish money in dealers pockets, that they will spend in UK anyway. I'm not against dealers independent or franchise buying in UK stock and selling, but they cant block private buyers importing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

On a similar vein, does anyone know why new Subaru's are so much more expensive than UK models? Irish and UK cars are made in the same factory (are they not?) and shipped the same way and they have the same spec (where same models are on offer).

Subaru XV eboxer 2.0 SE Premium
UK - ?30,995
IRL - ?42,995

Forester 2.0 XE Premium
UK - ?36,995
IRL - ?49,245

Is the difference purely down to VRT? But if VRT is only 13.3% (of base price?), then there's a difference in the base model price - and that can't be just the exchange rate. I did ask Subaru Ireland a good while ago and got no response. The marque will end up disappearing from Ireland with Brexit/Import costs stopping imports coming in. The Levorg isn't on offer in Ireland any more. Lovely car just priced wayyyy too expensive compared to UK. BRZ has gone too. Neither model sold enough units I'm guessing but then, at the initial prices quoted for Ireland, is it any wonder?

VRT, Vat, excise duty, transport costs, higher dealer mark up due to smaller volumes and higher operating costs (insurance etc)

Also VRT isn?t on the base price, it?s charged on all ?extras? including such ?luxuries? as electric windows, ABS etc

Back