Buying advice

Eire1981

Hey people new here so hello. I'm thinking of buying a version 4 or 5 type r after Xmas. Never had a scoob before so a little advice would be great. I hear a lot of stories of people telling me if you buy one don't be driving on the limiter as this is sure to destroy the engine and don't be diffing cause you,l cease the engine. Don't do this, don't do that cause the engine is soft on scoobys. The impression I get from them is buy one just to let it idle so you can here the bumble and don't drive it cause it,l sh*t itself. Guys help would be appreciated. How good are these engines. I'm no boy racer either just want to give it a blast every now and again. Thanx

the boxer engine makes its peak power well below the red line so driving it like a honda isnt needed to get the best out of it , if they are mapped to run on irish fuel this will also increase the chances of it not blowing up , best of luck finding a type r that is in good condition , many guys on here have went looking and came back empty handed ,

A subarus are not a bad engine
If looked after properly throughout their life they are good for big milage
Like most performance cars they tend to be driven a lot harder than your average people carrier
What you need to find is a car with a reasonable milage or one that has already had a engine rebuild by someone who knows what there at
And don't buy a boy racers car buy from an enthusiast some one who takes pride in their cars appearance and maintainance
Unfortunately type R s in mint condition are hard to find and attract a fair price tag
Good luck In your hunt

For a type r at this stage we advise buy with big end gone.

So one your happy with body and interior.

Then fresh rebuild and map and they will be pretty reliable depending how you look after her.

Eire1981.............how's tricks and welcome abaord :thumbsup:

There is no comparison between a WRX & a TypeR .
Two very different cars ............so get a TypeR :icon_grin:

The engines are solid , once looked after correctly , regular service / oil change .
If i bought a TypeR in the morn , 1st thing i would do is full service and prob a new oil
pump etc...

A TypeR MUST be Re- mapped for Irish fuel .

The only other thing i would suggest is limit the Rev's .
A TypeR will rev out to 9000rpm .....(red-line) , this is a definite way to blow
your engine eventually !!

I limited mine to 7500 rpm in 1st,2nd,3rd & 4th ..........................5th goes all
the way should the occasion ever arise :whistle: :whistle:

Best of luck with your new car :thumbsup:

:subaru:

NIall.

[quote author=Eire1981 link=topic=36412.msg416997#msg416997 date=1355431535]
I hear a lot of stories of people telling me if you buy one don't be driving on the limiter as this is sure to destroy the engine and don't be diffing cause you,l cease the engine. Don't do this,
[/quote]

Not being smart, but its not rocket science that if you drive ANY car on the limiter constantly it's going to sh*t its self, if you want to do a few hoops just go out and buy a rwd, as you are going to break the car and your pocket.

Reading down throught the few bits you have said, I can honestly say that I don't think a type r or any kind of Subaru is what you want, go buy an m3 or something along that lines n/a and rwd.

I think your picking me up wrong. I have absolutely no interest in diffing or driving on the limiter. I probably came across wrong. Sorry.i just wanted a general view on the cars reliability. Have done the Honda scene years ago.

from my own experience reliability is not an issue , i had a freak incident when the cats in my sti became blocked , never heard of another one doing the same thing , other than regular servicing the car never let me down

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=36412.msg417149#msg417149 date=1355653002]
from my own experience reliability is not an issue , i had a freak incident when the cats in my sti became blocked , never heard of another one doing the same thing , other than regular servicing the car never let me down
[/quote]

New age anda classic type r two very different cars

thats very true Dave , would you not agree a well maintained classic sti could be as reliable though , know many fellas with classic sti's here that have never missed a beat , my point/generalization would be that a minded scooby is a reliable motor .

Yes in general as such. But even well minded subarus fail.

And at this stage 99% of type r about have had an engine change/rebuild.

So that leaves huge unknown history.

I agree

When I got my B4 it's wasn't minded at all buy the previous lad, and promptly cacked itself

Since I put in a brand new block (two years ago) I have only ran E5 (still not ideal I know) and changed the oil and filter every 3-4k miles and its still going strong and it hasn't been driven by miss daisy by any means :icon_grin:

My advice is

Don't look for a particular car as such, look for a known and loved forum car in your price range, you can see previous posts and history about it and the previous owner that way

In general it makes since to buy a classic if it has a recent rebuild with receipts. Or else buy one with a blown engine as said and rebuild stronger than before. The problem with classics at this stage is firstly age and secondly they will have had 6 careful owners and one lunatic. :cuckoo:
The exception is where a car is well maintained and has loads of maintenance receipts. If it looks dirty/rough it probably hasn't much spent on it.
Alternatively go newage. Some bargains out there and they will have fewer owners and years of use. I've had both and find the newage easier to live with everyday. Hope you get one soon. Few regret buying one and most who get rid of them end up in one again. :icon_grin:

I bought my Type-R with engine rebuilt and €4k on receipt as well, cared about the car like a baby, never revved etc, and everyone knows what happened. :icon_hang: It's also very important who did the rebuild.
There is no rule. If it's going to sh*t itself, it will.

[quote author=Codders link=topic=36412.msg417180#msg417180 date=1355684760]
I bought my Type-R with engine rebuilt and €4k on receipt as well, cared about the car like a baby, never revved etc, and everyone knows what happened. :icon_hang: It's also very important who did the rebuild.
There is no rule. If it's going to sh*t itself, it will.
[/quote]

Lot of the time we see guys with rebuilds and the builders reused oil pumps and oil modines etc :cuckoo:

Codders are you now running one of our engines?

JP's 2.25L ?

To hell with it I'm getting one. Really like the type r. Brother has a uk turbo. Great car and never missed a beat with 135000 mile. No point worrying about it Thanx guys

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=36412.msg417187#msg417187 date=1355689101]

JP's 2.25L ?

[/quote]

I am indeed! It's been running great so far. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Codders link=topic=36412.msg417221#msg417221 date=1355708582]
[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=36412.msg417187#msg417187 date=1355689101]

JP's 2.25L ?

[/quote]

I am indeed! It's been running great so far. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Look after it. Long may it continue.. :subaru:

Back