Buying a Leagcy GTB

• Thread starter tommyjoecarroll
  • Start date
T

tommyjoecarroll

Hi lads, Im currently in the process of buing a GTB legacy, Bringing it in from japan. Ive been reading on here all morning and all it seems to be is problems with fuel and mapping, Is it true that no body in ireland can map them? i would have no problem running it on lucas but it must ne annoying putting it in everytime? Also it says in a thread that Texaco' Techron kills the Lucas, Is this true, I run a Texaco station so im hardly going to be buying Essos petrol on the far side of town, Dont think it'd look great? :roll:

Im Seriously having doubts about buying one now! Surely someone can Re-Map it?

Any help greatly appriciated!! :cheers:

Hi ya mate...Its true nobody in Ireland can map them but speak to Davelegy he has Bob Rawl for the uk and he can map leggys. fuel...iam not sure if it was cancelling out the lucas :dunno:
But maxol have new petrol out E5...and its meant to be 99octane,which would be ideal for all imports.
Dont back out of it mate,you will regret it..something can be sorted.. :thumbsup:

As scoobyke says, looks like the b4's may map well on the new 5% ethanol fuel from maxol, further tests in the next couple of months though should give a better indication.
And as you own a texaco station you'll be glad to hear that I read somewhere that texaco have also got a licence to sell 5% ethanol fuels so I suspect you/we will hear from texaco shortly about this.

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=4194.msg44180#msg44180 date=1194175350]
As scoobyke says, looks like the b4's may map well on the new 5% ethanol fuel from maxol, further tests in the next couple of months though should give a better indication.
And as you own a texaco station you'll be glad to hear that I read somewhere that texaco have also got a licence to sell 5% ethanol fuels so I suspect you/we will hear from texaco shortly about this.
[/quote]

I think all the major petrol station brands will be jumping on this band wagon soon just to avoid being called ozone wreckers by there competitors.

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=4194.msg44180#msg44180 date=1194175350]
[/quote]

Might give them a ring in the morning, See what the story is!!

I have a GT-b and have to say its a great car, havn't had any problems with it yet anyway. Davelegacy on this site is organizin Bob Rawle to come over in feb maybe to do mapping for the b4's and is goin to be mapping them for the E5. Id say go for it cause they're a great lookin car!

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=4194.msg44185#msg44185 date=1194177462]
I have a GT-b and have to say its a great car, havn't had any problems with it yet anyway. Davelegacy on this site is organizin Bob Rawle to come over in feb maybe to do mapping for the b4's and is goin to be mapping them for the E5. Id say go for it cause they're a great lookin car!
[/quote]

Can they be mapped for 95, My petrol is paid as expenses so why would i pay for E5, Maybe ill just run Techron + Lucas?

I have a deposit paid on it so im fairly sure ill take it once it comes in, Provided i can find fuel to put into it!

@ nicknack, Have u yours remapped or?

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=4194.msg44185#msg44185 date=1194177462]... they're a great lookin car!
[/quote]

Not forgetting they're incredibly versatile!

[quote author=tommyjoecarroll link=topic=4194.msg44187#msg44187 date=1194177858]
Can they be mapped for 95, My petrol is paid as expenses so why would i pay for E5, Maybe ill just run Techron + Lucas?
[/quote]

It has been suggested that there may be issues with using Lucas withTechron/V-Power/E5, though the evidence for it seems more anecdotal than technical at the moment, but you may be better off with NF?

But anyway, it probably won't be too long before Texaco introduce an ethanol blend - in fact they brought one out in the USA as long ago as 1979, called "Gasohol", though it was a flop at the time.

So does this mean you'll be changing your driver.ie handle to BlitzenTJ now  ;), or maybe JapScrapTJ?  ;)  ;)

@ Greenmachine, Probably should have changed it ages ago its 2yrs since i had the diesel bora, This is just a trial on the japs, Im looking for another GTI-6 already.. Think i should by a house, Living at home with 3 Cars, 4th on the way!!

When i get the legacy ill have to get a Magic stick like Snoop, 20 and soon to be driving a legacy GTB, Life is good!!

im not the one to be askin bout that mapping but i think it might be able to be mapped for 95 plus lucas. but i dont think ye can get as much power out of it! Pm davelegacy, he da man :subaru: :subaru:

[quote author=scoobyke link=topic=4194.msg44175#msg44175 date=1194172536]
Hi ya mate...Its true nobody in Ireland can map them but speak to Davelegy he has Bob Rawl for the uk and he can map leggys. fuel...iam not sure if it was cancelling out the lucas :dunno:
But maxol have new petrol out E5...and its meant to be 99octane,which would be ideal for all imports.
Dont back out of it mate,you will regret it..something can be sorted.. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Anyone can map them, Some dont unless they have decent fuel. With the new E5 being 99.2 ron there shouldent be an issue mapping b4's at all. Still dont react like an Impreza though.

Agreed anyone can map them with the correct fuel....but dont know of anyone here in ireland that maps them... :dunno:

[quote author=scoobyke link=topic=4194.msg44207#msg44207 date=1194189166]
Agreed anyone can map them with the correct fuel....but dont know of anyone here in ireland that maps them... :dunno:
[/quote]

I think there are or where at least a couple places that can map them. What the results where like I dont know.

@tommyjoecarrol

B4's don't react well to mapping on low octane fuel... We will be using e5 plus NF on all B4 's getting mapped to bring upto 101-102 ron which is up at jap level fuel quality. I see if you get your fuel as expenses from texaco through your job your in a awkward situation alright... Hopefully texaco has a  5% bio-ethanol fuel planned you will be in a better situation..  Is it the red wagon in picture of one your buying?
:subaru:

@nicknak

Mapping dates in December :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=4194.msg44210#msg44210 date=1194190099]

Is it the red wagon in picture of one your buying?

[/quote]

Ya its the red wagon heres more pics:

An additive in the fuel (techron) is said to counteract the octane booster. So waste of money puttin lucas in with texaco petrol :dunno:

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=4194.msg44224#msg44224 date=1194200626]
Correct me if im wrong but thats a blitzen isint it??
[/quote]

Sure is, Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Its the Auto/Tip-tronic version?

i've an auto, there not as powerfull as the B4 but when yiv got the power in the auto, ye dont care cause ye just cruise. and when ye want to overtake, just put the boot down. what year is it and how much you payin for it do you mind me/us askin!!

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=4194.msg44242#msg44242 date=1194206239]
i've an auto, there not as powerfull as the B4 but when yiv got the power in the auto, ye dont care cause ye just cruise. and when ye want to overtake, just put the boot down. what year is it and how much you payin for it do you mind me/us askin!!
[/quote]

I love autos, Driving an E300 auto @ the moment so its not new to me, The Car is '02 and im paying aroud 16 for it? Is blitzen good?

Back