Burining Oil? How much does your sti use??

The oil is getting into the intake system throught the crankcase and rocker cover breather pipes, a catch tank re-routes these breathers to a tank to avoid any oil getting into the intake system and being burned.

As said above, you could have high crankcase pressure or even just driver enthusiastically can cause oil to be pushed out the breahters. Its nothing to worry about mate :thumbsup:

Any of you with these oil catch cans, how quickly do they fill?

I've just put in .5L of oil again in 350-400km!
Think this perrin cap with re-route back into oil filler will be a better job. Anyone know where to get it? Can't see it on the Perrin web site

It is expensive compared to a 50 or 60 quid catch can.. but then again its not a catch can, and in fairness space is tight on a Subaru when still using a topmount, so it doesnt clutter up engine bay and doesnt need to be emptied, and it is a specific fitment, so i suppose you get what you pay for.

Lot of reading there... some a bit anal... considering some guys just pipe to atmosphere.. it should work

[quote author=KENC link=topic=22265.msg269247#msg269247 date=1269558369]
Lot of reading there... some a bit anal... considering some guys just pipe to atmosphere.. it should work
[/quote]

Yes but you still have to keep topping the car up with oil do you not? Kind of pointless.This is happening my car aswell

IF you use the grimspeed cap, you dont, its a closed return system, oil and air is seperated, air is vented , oil is returned back to sump through filler neck.. if you still using oil with this, then your issues are more serious.
What i ment about piping to atmosphere was, that a lot of new products always meet some knob ends who are a loyal following of another product/ brand.. and these guys always shite on about potential/ possible problems.. in fairness there is cars out there that vent to atmosphere and are all ok, apart from needing top ups, so if they are running alright, i cant see the Grimmspeed having any issues.
Crawford in States do a mor elaborate set up, but still same result, and probably cost 1k knowing them.
Have you ever seen smoke on a morning start up?

I can't say I have noticed smoke on a morning or cold start. I fitted the oil catch can yesterday, I can see a small smearing of oil inside the clear hosing, but the return pipe to the intake is clear. So I'll monitor oil usage now and see what ends up in the catch can. If the amount in the can is still way less than what I'm putting into it then I may have turbo issues. When the oil cap is off an the engine is running there's a constant pulsing of smokey coloured air coming out. Is that normal?

Its hard to say without seeing it, i dont think on any of my cars that has been that noticeable, could be compression rings.
Any other issue should in some way really end up in a tell tale smoke
I presume you have ruled out an oil leak somewhere?

Ye, i've had it up on a 2-post a few times now, and never noticed any traces of oil on the underside of it.
I've driven about 400km's now since fitting the can on sunday, so i'll have a look in it this evening and see how much there is.

One or 2 I've asked reckon its the turbo, some seal in it thats weeping when its under boost.
Its not the end of the world if the turbo has to come off and get sent away for a rebuild, but if I do that, and its still burning oil I wont be happy! lol :icon_rolleyes:

that could be a possibility.. but hhy is there no smoke??? thats what i am puzzled by

Looks like there's about 200-250ml of oil in the catch can after 400kms of driving.
It'll take a bit longer to diagnose if this is all the oil its using or not.

It looks a little milky tho....not white or cream, but certainly more white in it than engine oil is normally.
The oil on the dipstick is perfect though. Wonder where the moisture is coming from??

Possible alright, but one of the drives was 220km in one go.....
Ah, not too worried. Just need to see if the amount in the catch can adds up to what im pouring into it each week.
I wouldn't like to be routing that slightly milky oil back in with the rest, the way it would be using that grimmspeed cap.

Back