Built in home Sound system

seanie

Building a house at the mo and thinking about installing a built in sound system.
have ran cable for speakers and cat 5 for volume controls.
has anyone any experience in these or recommend a system that wont break the bank. not looking for nite club quality sound just want to be able to listen to the tunes.

Why bother with cables? wireless technologies are developing so quickly it just doesn't make sense to me.

agree with the above

for mid range price (and very decent quality) why not look at the Sonos systems. I have a Play 5 in the kitchen & absolutely love it - gonna splash on a play 1 or maybe 3 for the bedroom in the near future too.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=42451.msg486289#msg486289 date=1407849947]
Why bother with cables? wireless technologies are developing so quickly it just doesn't make sense to me.
[/quote]

i want the speakers fixed in the ceilings not free standing.
also i want outdoor speakers, i presume you need wireless receiver to feed speaker? thats not going to work outdoors unless they are IP rated, it s a fixed system i am after.

the cables are in already just looking for a reasonably priced kit to fit, speakers, amp etc

[quote author=seanie link=topic=42451.msg486292#msg486292 date=1407854433]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=42451.msg486289#msg486289 date=1407849947]
[/quote]

i want the speakers fixed in the ceilings not free standing.
also i want outdoor speakers, i presume you need wireless receiver to feed speaker? thats not going to work outdoors unless they are IP rated, it s a fixed system i am after.
[/quote]

You could fix the speakers, you will need to run power to them anyway. It's just easier to replicate the same sound on multiple speakers

If I was building my own fixed system I would simply base it on a windows 8 pc with a top drawer sound card....you could choose a 7.1 system or simply replicate some good 2.1(depends on your budget) in a number of rooms. You could sink a touch screen monitor into the wall and any free media player optimized for touch would do the job...mate of mine did this a few years back and it was quality...BUT as soon as you can use a tablet or a phone it just makes the panel redundant.

You could get this, this would act as the amp for a bunch of speakers..can be controlled with airplay etc

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/pioneer-vsx-924av-receiver

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=42451.msg486291#msg486291 date=1407854051]
agree with the above

for mid range price (and very decent quality) why not look at the Sonos systems. I have a Play 5 in the kitchen & absolutely love it - gonna splash on a play 1 or maybe 3 for the bedroom in the near future too.
[/quote]
Thats where the magic happens :icon_biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZALi-fyFM

Back