Bugeye WRX vs STI

6 speed, brembos, interior and bigger everything else

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

I like the STI but not the price tag, can a WRX preform and look like an STI without over spending or is the STI better value.

In my opinion to get a wrx to be as good as an STI, you will spend as much as what an STI will cost you day one and it still wont be an STI if you go to sell it on hence losing any money you have put into it.

you can get it remappped with a few mods decat etc and you will have good power but you will be missing everything else

you can certainly buy one and make it look like an STI easy enough and will have decent power if thats what you are after but if you want an STI it will never be one

I would also recommend buying an STi over a WRX, trust me, I bought a WRX a year ago and wish I bought an STi - hindsight is a great thing...
Also, I believe STi's come with forged internals and WRX's do not.

I know what you mean man, but I think I should have bought an STI to begin with.
Everything I'm doing is only making it look like and drive like an STI, but if you started with one you'd be better off

Alright

Fair few differences

Wheels (diff design)

Brakes subaru 4 pots on wrx and Brembos on sti (much better)

Gearbox 5 speed on wrx 6 speed on sti (much shorted ratios and much tougher)

If comparing uk/ireland wrx bhp 218 on wrx and ( I think ) 265bhp to 280bhp euro sti/jdm

Think the bug wrx will have ej205 engine vs sti will have ej207 stronger and could have forged internals(could be wrong here)

Seats/badges/carpets

Dials/gearbox shifter ect ect I'm probably forgetting alot here but sent on Eoin a load of stuff for you to take a look at [emoji106]

Which to buy then the answer is simple if u have the budget get a sti if not get a wrx imo [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
33af3b4403ab7cd30f110a1d96bedfd4.jpg

85f6e202082c51e3cef43cead81d1a6f.jpg

7d810c4fee4b4f57394fb614cc03993a.jpg

Last edited:
Dead on man, as said here, everything you do to a WRX is only trying to catch the drivability of an STI.
AND at that, you still don't have the 6 speed, stronger engine etc etc
STI is a better starting place. Is a modified WRX lol
To be simple about it, everything you'd upgrade on a WRX, the STI has it done already... That's one way to look at it

Wouldnt take anything for either car both great motors and both will give you that flat 4 smile

Obviously a WRX will be cheaper to buy run and insure esp compared to jdm sti car where insurance can be tricky

What your plans for car u get modifying or leaving it stock and just maintaince ect

My forester (250 bhp ish) gives me 70% of the buzz of the impreza with 300bhp and all the handling/engine supporting mods so it's all relative.

Also if you got a wrx 2.5 hawk there easy to get 280 ish bhp out of (just a map far as I rem) and good toqure too.

Forester be well cool too below mates Xt Prodrive PPP pack car (just after getting out of a muddy Goodwood Festival of speed car park) all the pace and lots of usability too

All things to consider

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
67e4c97d821529f4486c90f973d2ef08.jpg

Last edited:
The lads have given you great advice. It's really what you can afford to run. Cost of buying, tax etc, the car won't be that much different.

IF it's to buy and flip for profit, you need to be able to do everything yourself (I can do jack sh*t, not an option for me).

Modified WRX has just as much performance as an STI. Take CiaranWRX's as an example.

STI v WRX in long term value, STI gets that, but how much and to what level... time will tell. Perhaps only the special breed likes S202, S203, S204, T25, RB320 etc.. will make any difference in that department.

My opinion, like everything above. If you've time to build on the power/mods/performance, you can do that on a WRX and make it a 300-320bhp machine and have 100% fun in it. Provided you want to keep it long term, develop it, but know that any STI/WRX will cost you regardless... Insurance, Tax, Petrol, Maintenance etc.

Everyday v weekend or summer car.

But really depends on your goal at the end of the day.

Best advice I can give is:
1. Start with something quality to begin with (STI or WRX).
2. Have a full plan from the start... an endgame... you want 350bhp with X, Y, Z... plan it out from the start... don't do what everyone seems to do when cash is tight, change one wee thing at a time... you could end up with Frankenstein's deranged mother, Fransico-stein and an awful car.

So plan it out. Record everything.

Last peice of advice... BEFORE you buy anything... stick photos of it up here... the folks in the club have a mountain of knowledge between them. They'll know if you should be careful or avoid, full stop.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Plus. Buy for ?7k. Spill ?10-15-20k in... go to sell... it's still ?7k...

In terms of investment... forget it... money pit...

But to drive it, live it, enjoy it... spill the ?10-20k in... cause very little else on the road ticks the sheer amount of boxes a Scooby does.

Looks, sound, performance, grip, handling, 5 seats, boot, scoop, the club, people, events, mountain driving, track days, country roads, rough, smooth, drama..... Subaru's have it all... other cars tick some of these boxes... but not bang for buck...

Right now, the ISDC is growing again. Interest is back. More car shows, events... scooby's are subculture... be part of that culture... WRX, STI... or any Scooby... new members are joining all the time... to enjoy the subculture...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

100% Connor, brilliant post.
The Subaru Community is a lot to play with Subaru ownership I find. Great club we have here too ????????
Solid advice above lads ????

I'll throw in my own personal experience from the point of view of starting with a Wrx to give abit of perspective.

Wrx are a not huge money at present. If you want to keep it long term and develop its, find a solid base and build it up from there. I did that over the last 3 years and don't intend on selling the car anytime soon. As others have said, you'll need to invest a fair amount of money to get it to be as capable as an Sti. In saying so, you could always do what I did and just upgrade things as they wear out/break/need replacing to newer components that are better performing than the stock Sti parts.

For me, part of the joy of my own car on top of driving it is upgrading parts, learning about the car and finding the right combination that suits me and my needs. I daily drive my car and it also does family duties on top of the occasional hoon/track day etc.

Imho, it depends on your budget and whether you want to keep it long term or short term. Wrx stock are still a lot of fun for little money. You prob won't lose anything if you keep it short term. Sti are more expensive but I can't see their prices dropping further from here onwards as vrt has killed importing Jdm cars and their value has been steady for a while now. Either way, both fun cars to own and drive. The club is a wealth of information and parts, so you will have a great resource to rely on[emoji4]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

If budget allows buy an STI end off, they just are a better car out of the box, no difference in insurance and running cost in my experience,

If budget doesn't allow buy WRX which are also a great car out the box but don't have the extras that STIs have.

Back