Brembo brake pads

Pablo85

Sunday Drivers
Hello all

I?ll keep this a simple as possible.
Has anyone had trouble changing standard brembo pads in brembo calipers lately???
Mine are way to tight going in!!

*Pistons fully depressed
*inside caliper clean
* pins and clips lined up

Absolute pig of a job,walked away from the car like a demon this evening,Nothing worse than wasted time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the pads too thick?
Sounds like they are.

There was a similar type looking Evo brembo caliper that looked the same as an impreza.
Both pads were the same shape but one was thicker.

Look the same but thicker surface area.
No difference till fitting.

Cross reference pad part number to your car/caliper.

Has to be wrong pad really as you say, pistons are back.

Only other thing is the discs are too thick!

Generally it?s basic stuff.

Start simple, correct discs,pads etc.

A tiny couple of MM make a massive difference.

Are the pads too thick?
Sounds like they are.

There was a similar type looking Evo brembo caliper that looked the same as an impreza.
Both pads were the same shape but one was thicker.

Look the same but thicker surface area.
No difference till fitting.

Cross reference pad part number to your car/caliper.

Has to be wrong pad really as you say, pistons are back.

Only other thing is the discs are too thick!

Generally it?s basic stuff.

Start simple, correct discs,pads etc.

A tiny couple of MM make a massive difference.

Good shout ,I?ll check the disc thickness and same with pads, the calipers were from a new age so when I ordered discs last year I just ordered brembo discs that were specifically for new age sti 326mm dia & 5 X 100 pcd ,I didn?t actually know there could have been a thicker disc within that category??

Good shout ,I?ll check the disc thickness and same with pads, the calipers were from a new age so when I ordered discs last year I just ordered brembo discs that were specifically for new age sti 326mm dia & 5 X 100 pcd ,I didn?t actually know there could have been a thicker disc within that category??

They all need to match.
Some of the more informed subaru perverts! :)

Who are asleep now... I?m sure will confirm and educate both of us when they awake! :)

Sounds like a couple of mm issue.. to me.

I may well be wrong! So let?s see what the people will n the know say.

Don?t go mad on eBay till you hear!!!

Info on here is normally gospel!!

They all need to match.
Some of the more informed subaru perverts! :)

Who are asleep now... I?m sure will confirm and educate both of us when they awake! :)

Sounds like a couple of mm issue.. to me.

I may well be wrong! So let?s see what the people will n the know say.

Don?t go mad on eBay till you hear!!!

Info on here is normally gospel!!

Cars going nowhere fast we?ll wait until the perverts wake up and see if I have either bought wrong pads or discs ,ah I?d gladly take advice here there?s a wealth of knowledge on here [emoji106]

Have same issue right now, but just about to install used set of brembos with pads and discs which come from sti. Pads are slotting into place where you have small metal plates on which they meant to be sliding. On both sides they are secured with one hex bolt which, after some mileage dust from brake pads is accumulating. Apparently taking them off (***** of a job with calipers off the car, so if they are on, way more difficult? and properly cleaning surface, pads should slot in with no issues.
That?s that 1-2mm which you (and me) are missing for perfect fit.
Worth of checking.

The wear shims on the calipers need to be removed and clean behind them there after pushing out 1-2 mm which is causing the pads to bind on them I'd say

Some aftermarket pads need a small ?clearance grind ? or file of the edges of the metal backing to get them in .
The caliper start to corrode under the pads sliders pushing them of shape and making the pads tight , so it?s either strip the caliper to rectify this or clearance the metal backing , you might only need to take the paint off to get them in

If you have a set price to change out pads ,what happens in case like this,advise the customer??

You wont really have too big of an issue on the fitting of pads really.

Fitting of discs for brembo caliper set up would always pre advise that could be an issue with caliper mounting bolts. Seized or pulling threads etc. Or if in for brake fluid flush then the chance of seized bleed nipples.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Update on pads

Today I finished work early and tackled the brembo pads, the issue was really my lack of patience last Saturday I expect everything to happen fast lol

Thanks to the above advice from Baz ,Joe and Dave

I removed the wear shims on the pads.
Clean inside the calipers thoroughly,I was also able to push the guides for the pads down slightly.
Gave the pad backing plate a file top and bottom.

They have slotted into place nicely ,car back on the road and braking lovey.

Back