Brakes on a WRX STi

Tombusa

Sunday Drivers
Hi, new here.

Went and looked at an STi today.

First time in 12 years since I was in a Subaru.

Was very well impressed - went from zero to hero in about 10 minutes :multijump:

I'm coming from bikeland, so forgive me if I know nothing at all . . . .

The only thing that got me was the brakes - When you'd push down, there wasn't much depression on the pedal and it was pretty ineffectual.
Almost like you'd been pumping a brake in a car with the engine off.
The salesman explained that they'd improve as they heated up - which they did - to a degree, but I wasn't sure whether it is still normal?

Thanks,

Tom

it depends on what pads are fitted to the car, if it has fast road pads or track pads they would seem inefficient at first till they warm up, also if the car has been sitting up on a forcourt for a while the discs could be glazedor have surface rust which would take a few miles of breaking to remove

Hi Tom,

The heating up of the brakes would depend on what type of pads were fitted.
Some people like the 'race spec' pads which do need to heat up but when they are 'hot' they should stop you fairly quickly :thumbsup:
It could have been other things as well - how long was the car sitting there before you drove it? Could have been a build up of rust etc :thumbsup: Either way don't be rushed into buying anything too quick as it's a buyers market at the moment and also check out the 'for sale' section here as there is some nice well looked after cars for sale :thumbsup:

Alan

[quote author=P1 Alan link=topic=13421.msg165776#msg165776 date=1236468179]
Got there before me Northdublin :thumbsup: :icon_grin:

Alan
[/quote]

your punctuation is far better then mine though :thumbsup: :geek:

[quote author=Tombusa link=topic=13421.msg166146#msg166146 date=1236546879]
Thanks guys

it's important to be able to stop - sometimes :049:
[/quote]
What year was the car?

Ahh, it would definately be down to type of pads, or, it has been sitting in the showroom for 12 months without been moved. The Brembos should be well up to the job.

Back