Bioethanol conversion 104 RON

Just to make sure people interested in ethanol don't miss it - I'm putting also here results (now 3 day of driving on 20% ethanol mix with petrol) of my small tests and investigation:

For three days I drive on a mix: 15litres bio-ethanol in the full tank of petrol. And to be honest, so far, so good... no problems.
It should give about 20% of ethanol in tank, and I expect it to take the fuel up to about 99 octanes? That's my kind of conclusion after reading many webpages, documents, analysis etc.
Actually they say that Impreza can use even 30% mix of ethanol and petrol without any conversions and problems.
But in longer term upgrade of fuel pump might be a good idea - and delivering a bit more fuel, as ethanol is a bit less caloric.

As far as I remember 100RON Shell V-Power also contains about 10% of ethanol - that's Shell receipt for making 100RON petrol (from 98RON?).
So if everything goes fine - maybe that's the way we could go with JDM cars and then think about higher boost?
The only problem is that there's not too many stations selling E85, hence it's still good to keep few bottles of Lucas and use it when necessary (to not ruin guys selling octane boosters smile)

Anyway I'm gonna test it for a longer time... we'll see.

Fair play Rude Boy :thumbsup:
Have you noticed any increase in power and keep an
eye on you mpg :D it would be interesting to see if it was kinder
on the pocket also.

Niall.

To be honest, according to all analysis I wouldn't expect better mpg since ethanol is less calorific, and you have to pump a bit more fuel into engine.
Hence mpg will rather be a bit lower, but bio-ethanol is a bit cheaper. There should be no shock to your pocket unless you start driving around like crazy enjoying your car on higher octane fuel :)

I also don't expect much more power, in terms of additional power. Just a bit - maybe getting back to factory defaults, because of higher octane number - when computer can change ignition settings to get advantage on the fuel. This should, afair, give you back your HPs lost on 95RON.
Anyway, the most important thing at this stage is to resolve problems of knocks in engine. And then to see if we can get something more on it.
And what can I say... info from NASIOC seems to be pretty optimistic on using ethanol/bio-ethanol in Subaru.

Maybe that's a new hope for turbo-car owners here in Ireland.

Keep us informed how it going, i found hte converter kit which puts more fuel in hte engine for about 350 dollars online, ill see if i can get a link and post it. Im doing hte nct on tuesday if i pass i might sell the car, if i decide not to or if i fail i might get the converter. I wonder if putting a bit of e85 in hte car for the nct would be a good idea, should lower emmissions slightly i think.

I ran out of octane boost on friday so i decided to try putting some bioethanol into the car. I put in 5L of e85 and 20L of petrol into an empty tank. Seems to be running really well, almost better than it ever has. Only done about 20kms though.

I am getting my T/A car maped for E85 next week by Martin treacy i will post up results and dyno sheet.. This is the way to go more power ,cleaner ,and cheaper than race fuel.

Philip..

I used it for about a month using a 75/25% mix unleaded/Bio-ethanol. Had no problems. Car seemed to run better with it.

Back