Bioethanol conversion 104 RON

rowanh

Sunday Drivers
I have a WRX import, i am planning on having it remapped but wont have the money for some time. Just stumbled onto this though

http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/conversion_kits.htm

Maxol are selling it, a bit cheaper than petrol and its 104 RON. Sounds like it could be good though may be massive complications. Any one have any thoughts? Does the impreza have an injection engine, im not exactly sure what that means.

As far as I know there are only certain cars which can use this fuel. As in the car has to be made for it. I could be wrong but don't go using it just yet. I think it wrecks the pistons and cylinders because there is not enough lubrication as there would be in the oil based petrol. Cars made to use it have harder pistons and cylinders.

I havent heard anything like that, i found this post

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=47192

There is a couple people using it there. One thing that could be a big problem is rubber tubes in the engine and from the fuel tank to the engine. Then aslo there is apparently a problem that if there is water in the ethanol it will cause rust to happen in the engine. MAxol say there fuel is 99.9 percent ethanol, im not sure if this is pure enough or not..

On this site
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2006/0823/1155714926135.html

Has this "Concerns over the corrosive nature of bio-ethanol should not be a factor, says Hygate. "In Brazil there are over two million cars running on bio-ethanol with this type of device," he says. "Any modern petrol car newer than 1990 that has fuel injection can use this safely, anything older than that could have rubber that could corrode.""

What i want to know at the moment really is are there any natural rubber tubes or seals in a 93 impreza wrx engine that fuel travels through. If so could they be replaced with something else and how much would this cost. The kit is 580 euro which is less than an Apexi Power Ecu and does not require any mapping..

The problem is with bio-ethanol in its current form is that it wont catch on because there isnt enough land to grow it basically..if every car in ireland converted tomorrow there wouldn't be enough arable land in the world to gorw enough crop to make the fuel..this technology will fall by the way side..BMW has already made a hydrogen car it will be going on test in london soon..hydrogen can be got from water and converts back to water

Well i dont think hydrogen cars will catch on as they cost far too much and always will and require more than water to run. Im not sure about if every car converted in ireland there would not be enough land to produce the ethanol, but the way i see it ethanol would be more suited to performance cars where people want 104 RON fuel. Id say the practical solution for cars in the future is electric cars as you can get electrical energy from totally renewable sources. But all that is slightly irelevant as its decades away in terms of the majority of people not using petrol based cars. Being able to convert cars to bioethanol and biodeisel seems to be a good place to start, especially if they start making hybrid electric/biofuel cars.

yeah agree with you there..but if its a renewable source of fuel that we as an agriculture nation can grow ...why arent the government pushing this on us? I dont know anywhere in dublin that sells it

as said above Maxol have started to sell it........Dublin city council have bought some vehicles that run on it.

Id say the reason the government are not pushing it is because of their gross incompetance, we will be in serious troube in a few years with the kyoto agreement, we are not in anyway comming into line with it. They are charging less tax on it which is why its 97c/L rather than being more expensive than petrol which it would be and they are giving 50% back on the vrt of new cars that are made for it, there is a ford focus and a saab.

Ive been doing a lot of research into this in the last couple days. There is a guy with a 200sx using it, he got his car properly mapped to it rather than using the conversion kit, he is finding it great, got a 30 bhp gain from it. Its not available in all maxol stations only really a handfull, there is a map of them here, http://www.maxol.ie/E85/index.html

The guy with the 200sx can only use e85 as its mapped to 104 but with the kit if your car is mapped to 95 you should be able to use any ratio of petrol/e85 in the tank.

Seems to be an incredibly cheap way to run your car on racing quality fuel. It also cleans out your engine.

the guy with the 200sx already had a highly modded car but including uprated injectors i think..550 nismo jobbies if im not mistaken..i would love to be able run my car on it ..wonder would a half tank be ok to test? my car is designed for 101 so it wouldnt be that much of a jump..i would be worried about the injectors issue but...suppose you could flush a half tank out pretty easy if you had problems

I dont think its a good idea to use it without the kit, with the kit you can use any mix from 100% petrol to 100% E85, i think i might do it and try and find what ratio is 100RON. As far as i can tell it does something like force more fuel into the injectors, though maybe if its mapped to 101 ron this would not be nessesary. I dont know much about mechanics at this kind of level, i guess maybe i should start reading up on it.

might buy a tenners worth put another 10 in a can and just drain it after a couple of minutes if it feels bad...would rather someone else try it but!!

Check this out.

http://e85forum.com/about409.html

I found some of this a bit confuising, if it stays quiet today in work i hopefully will understand what fuel injectors do and more by the end of the day. Seems like you might be able to use a mix of petrol and e85 with no modification though.

In the last link

This guy fitted a new uprated fuel pump, fuel regulator, larger 550cc injectors
and a full Ecutek - remap and he never told us what happend all the times he got it wrong.

Fair play Dagnut but i would be a little paranoid about diving straight into this !!!!

Our shiity 95RON has my head wrecked and i can't wait for a better soultion than octane
booster but for me the jury is still out.

Niall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=2556.msg23659#msg23659 date=1181307049]
In the last link

This guy fitted a new uprated fuel pump, fuel regulator, larger 550cc injectors
and a full Ecutek - remap and he never told us what happend all the times he got it wrong.

Fair play Dagnut but i would be a little paranoid about diving straight into this !!!!

Our shiity 95RON has my head wrecked and i can't wait for a better soultion than octane
booster but for me the jury is still out.

Niall.

[/quote]

IL run 5 euro with 11 lets say..he did that with out any mods..if the ecu is able to deal with in reality is about 93-94 octane when its designed for 101 im sure it will be ok..if not il drain it out..il stick a drop of booster in as well just to be sure....and some methanol..toulene....and some chicken fat

Id advise you not to do it inless you think you know what your doing, i dont but people on other forums are saying you need the conversion. I dont quite understand why though.

Can anyone tell me how to check what my injectorts look like? one of these? http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/images/bioethanol_products_clip_image003.jpg

Also what does this mean?
All you need to do on a Subaru WRX (2002 -- I assume others will behave the same), is increase your fuel low by 15% over stock. This will make the ECU have zero LTFT's and STFT's on a 50/50 mix of gasoline and E85.

Ah easy enough ya take out your favorite lump hammer
belt the sh1t out of the block a couple of times .............. :D

Increase your fuel flow (turn up pressure on fuel regulator :ponder:)
as for the rest :whistle: :whistle:

Niall.

I was talking to a friend of mine, he is doing an apprenticeship in track day performance, he thinks it would be a bad idea to try and run an impreza on r85 without doing a ful remap ot it. Even with the conversion kit he was saying he doesnt see how it could not wreck hte car with the timing and ignition being off. not really what i wanted to hear, he could be wrong but sounds like it might not be a good idea. im going to keep looking into it though.

Back