Bilstein Suspension - BP5/BL

legacy03

ISDC Club Member
has anyone reconditioned their bilstein suspension, there is a nut on these holding the shocks into the housing but can not find any info anywhere regarding putting new inserts in, or finding jsut inserts for sale. Price of new housing/full assembly is very expensive and if can just repair the insert i don't see why not.....

Or if anyone has other suggestions for swapping to other brands let me know, would like to keep it OEM though....

has anyone reconditioned their bilstein suspension, there is a nut on these holding the shocks into the housing but can not find any info anywhere regarding putting new inserts in, or finding jsut inserts for sale. Price of new housing/full assembly is very expensive and if can just repair the insert i don't see why not.....

Or if anyone has other suggestions for swapping to other brands let me know, would like to keep it OEM though....

There is a replacment ,its from a different car I.I.R.C. ,forget where I read it but has been done deffo

The first link is what he used in that screenshot @scoobysub found for me before but I havent needed them yet
Thats good to have - ill get them also, but looking mainly for the actual inserts for the strut housing (sorry prob worded it wrong)

I got x4 new ones for an mr2 i have, retained oringal factory housing, just cleaned it up painted and swapped in new inserts
1701441070420.png

I think @GORDON GT SERIES II mentioned something about Bilstein themselves can send direct from U.K. to here for decent money (was full struts not sure if just inserts)
Otto up in tallaght can get them, but coming in at nearly 285 a corner! - might get them cheaper in UK alright. Just a pitty to replace a whole part when housings are fine etc

I bought brand new bilsteins for my bp5 years ago. Fella called hallie on uklegacy has a pinned post and can get dirat from bilstein germany. Was cheap at the time. Drop him a message.

Otto up in tallaght can get them, but coming in at nearly 285 a corner! - might get them cheaper in UK alright. Just a pitty to replace a whole part when housings are fine etc
A mate of mine ordered b8 for his 131 330d estate bilstein UK supplied him with a set and even getting hit with near 200 quid customs they still came in at 860 delivered all in

Well, you can ONLY buy the original struts for these from Subaru at over 700 a piece... You can't even buy them direct from bilstein, so doubt you'll get the cartridge/ inner cores for them .
Bilstein replacement are B6/B8 and are a HD shock absorber. There is no difference between the ride/firmness, however the original springs I used with these seemed to raise the front end up by about 7-10 mm.
Tried a couple of different "lowering springs" and made zero difference.
So be careful with spring choices. I believe the green ones, Tein, will lower it a fair bit.

The cheapest place I found was from tunershop.de offs eBay. Around 260 a piece
Do not use auto-doc (IMO) they are sh*t.

Thanks all for the help, a lot to think about, generall consensus is to keep with the B6 platform?

Back