Biggest amount spent to fix any car you’ve owned??

Grahamo spec c

ISDC Club Member
So my twins now will never see any education, I’d say we will be raising them naked in a field!
Joking and not taking the piss out of anyone either, just trying to get my head around my spend which has gone into orbit!!

my savings are gone on this “project” but the wife said fix it asap as I’m stressed and distant!

Anyway…..!!!

I am at over 4k euro.
Parts in transit and doing it myself with former member Phil.

So, Humour me or scare me??
With mega costs you have incurred!!

most reliable car I’ve owned but breaking the bank to put it better back right, better than before 😉👍🏻

Great thread!
Phil, is that mad paddy?
I've never had that much incurred to be fair.
Most I've actually spent was on an EP82 Starlet GT back in the day (in terms of repair)
Engine imported from Japan-€1200
New turbo from UK-€700
Fitting-€700
So, €2,600 total for my biggest repair cost.

As for just money spent on cars...that's a different story.....for a different thread 🤣

Great thread!
Phil, is that mad paddy?
I've never had that much incurred to be fair.
Most I've actually spent was on an EP82 Starlet GT back in the day (in terms of repair)
Engine imported from Japan-€1200
New turbo from UK-€700
Fitting-€700
So, €2,600 total for my biggest repair cost.

As for just money spent on cars...that's a different story.....for a different thread 🤣
Eoin!! Stick with it! No buying car spend 😂😂👍🏻👍🏻

repairs of a car you love etc 😉

hated either!! Had to spend to get rid of it!!

7k above from Pedro makes me feel all warm inside! (Sorry)

beat 7k in 2021 or 2022!!

brief scope of work etc!!
DIY or Garage.

Ladies & gents l!!

any car you’ve owned!!

we all drove other cars before Subaru!

I love a good story of a tow home car.

Man, that starlet I bought didn't get me home! Bought in Cork City and engine blew on the way home 🤣 disaster.
Car was flipped on its roof then about 3 months later after getting it repaired. Bad dose.
Had an EM1 before and had a page and a half on NCT failures. Cost me a fortune, but can't remember how much exactly. Didn't beat the 2.6k above tho.
My last WRX, could have easily spent 5-7k on getting that fixed, but wasn't making the value at the time. Sure now it would have turned a profit I'd say but...hindsight a great tool lol

Not me personally , but a mates Ali Burrows 2.1 stroker (after the OEM engine threw a rod) , was a tad over €10k, didn't include fitting , remapping etc

...I dont want to add up what I have spent :(

My most at one time was an engine in from Japan for a 94 levin 20 valve silver top..engine and shipping etc was 1800 at the time then the usual timing belt kit etc and engine to be fitted came to about €2800 all in back in 2005...spent thousands on the upkeep of the rs over the years aswell though..

My 1997 classic shaped impreza on the way home from rally school Irealnd In monaghan back to cork. The pilot bearing let go in the gearbox. We parked just beside the slip road from Monasterevin stuck there for 6 hours after ringing AXA and they telling me they'd bring the car to a local garage for me. Recovery truck up from Cork and back car to the mechanic. Gearbox ended up going to John Hickey who owns the Fubaru to be sorted all in all a great way to empty the bank account a very enjoyable experience 🤣

Also my Gt Punto which I still have I've spent an absolute fortune when she was on the road in the early 2000s I'm in the process of putting her back on the road now the last 2 years and I've not learned my lesson 🤣

I was out in it yesterday, we'll worth the7k build kieran..God only knows how much it would cost now..
Great to hear Johnny and delighted its going strong👍, the best of parts went into in fairness but it was a saucey bill, don't think I'd fork out that coin again unless something really special.

If it makes you feel any better, I know a girl that’s facing into a 3 grand repair on a gearbox in an Automatic VW Jetta of all things.. car is probably worth 5-6k

Back