anyone done a track day

the hen

Petrolheads
thinking of getting a car for a track days and wondering has many done it and is it worth the money. thinking bout spending bout 4k on a car but would i be better off buying a rally car (205 gti) or someting. have my eye on a scooby as wanna get back into 4wd burble. any ideas or advice welcomed lads.

i have a 205 i use for the track, great crack. you can go wild without watching your back. with four grand to spend, i would go with something front wheel drive with room to spend on coilovers, brakes, seats and harnesses. i think a 306 gti6 is about the best value for money at the minute :thumbsup:

dont touch a scooby for the track as they wont last and are to expensive to run on track reliably

rwd would be a lot of fun on the track, like an old skyline,sx 180 or even bmw 325 but just more to go wrong with the turbo cars

something like what ciaran said , 205 gti,306 gti6/rallye or vti civic would be a nice car quick car for track days and reliable enough

just to add to that

before you go and buy a car , try get to a track day and get a spin in with someone to see do you like, some people do, some people dont.

you,ll also have to factor in the cost of a car trailer and the price of the day , as in price of fuel depending on weather your doing a full day or half day at the track
full day would cost 300 euro in mondello and 160 for half day plus fuel at least a full tank for a full day depending on the car and then after two to three track day youll need tyres and brake pads, change of oil and filter and anything else that goes wrong in car.

buying a rally preparded car would save a lot of hassel as it would be ready for the track, once its set up for tarmac and not gravel/forest

but imo its all worth it as you cant beat giving it welly on track for a bit of fun

get down to mondello tomorrow for a look

thanks lads, gaering more towards a peugoet now maybe a 106gti. budget cut in half due to stuff i need to do in summer. seen 1 or 2 cars that interest me. there is a 95 type ra on carzone in donegal all fitted like rally car (prob a recce car) for 3995 yo yo's. would be lovely track car if had funds if anythink broke lol. still like the 1.9 gti though, bit of a 90's icon

[quote author=the hen link=topic=14254.msg177846#msg177846 date=1239797321]
thanks lads, gaering more towards a peugoet now maybe a 106gti. budget cut in half due to stuff i need to do in summer. seen 1 or 2 cars that interest me. there is a 95 type ra on carzone in donegal all fitted like rally car (prob a recce car) for 3995 yo yo's. would be lovely track car if had funds if anythink broke lol. still like the 1.9 gti though, bit of a 90's icon
[/quote]

Im not sure but does the type ra belong to one of the traders on here-Denis 555 I think :dontknow:

ya just checked up there could be the one alright, be a nice track car or rally car. johnl your on the ball :clap:

Small, FWD and stripped out is absolutely perfect for mondello!
Little pugs or any vteck civic hatch,
If you get something that will take 17's that would be usefull also because you can buy part worn ex BTCC slick for fook all on fleebay!
But a small light car won't eat tyres or brakes to quickly!
Best of luck,

Oh and regarding running costs, if I do 6 trackdays in the year, with all costs considered (ie. brakes, tyres, pertoland enterance fee's etc) it costs on average (€600-700) per day, about €140 of that is petrol in my car! :icon_lol:
Dan

Back