Antilag & Launch Control

JohnS12

Sunday Drivers
hey guys,

what is the best form of anti lag and launch control. I know you can remap some cars factory ecu to include this but is this the best option and does it work ok. is a ecu swap over best option and what makes would you recommend?

had it years ago and had a complete ecu swap over at the time

John :smokesubaru

It can be done on your oem ecu but it means loading on a group n software, sounds great but I find the car annoyingly undriveable at low revs, constantly switches between open and closed loop on very light throttle. Spoken to a couple of other lads with the same software and they are all the same. Wouldn't advise that route for a daily driver, I'm considering going back to standard software if it can't be corrected as it annoys me something awful.

Standard software on your oem ecu can be mapped with a pop on overrun but it's not anti lag.

Other than that an alcatec ecu would be the way forward if you're willing to invest the cash into it.

Launch control is the only real benefit, the anti lag is only sound effects really... If you had full proper anti lag you would have no servo assistance when you brake as intake wouldn't be on vacum

Just to add... Using anything that causes a rev limiter is not advisable on standard 2.5 engines.

imo there both completely ridiculous and pointless on a road car, how many times has any here ever used there launch control to take off??and as for anti lag that just makes noise and is very hard on all the engines internals and the turbo also anti lag destroys oem catylitic converters ,I would just map it on 95 and leave it be but that's just my opinion .if you do feel the need get an alcatec ecu or similar and do it that way

They are pointless but if going for Alcatek for the sake of 150€ it's worth having both. Anti for a bit of craic on spins pops and bangs that you can turn off ( not permanent mapped in ) launch control never really use but I will hopefully if I get to a few events in bishops court

Re: Re: Antilag & Launch Control

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=41205.msg1#msg1 date=1395356124]
imo there both completely ridiculous and pointless on a road car, how many times has any here ever used there launch control to take off??and as for anti lag that just makes noise and is very hard on all the engines internals and the turbo also anti lag destroys oem catylitic converters ,I would just map it on 95 and leave it be but that's just my opinion .if you do feel the need get an alcatec ecu or similar and do it that way
[/quote]

Anti lag alcatek etc would never be installed on a oem cat converter system

Re: Re: Antilag & Launch Control

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41205.msg1#msg1 date=1395354887]
It can be done on your oem ecu but it means loading on a group n software, sounds great but I find the car annoyingly undriveable at low revs, constantly switches between open and closed loop on very light throttle. Spoken to a couple of other lads with the same software and they are all the same. Wouldn't advise that route for a daily driver, I'm considering going back to standard software if it can't be corrected as it annoys me something awful.

Standard software on your oem ecu can be mapped with a pop on overrun but it's not anti lag.

Other than that an alcatec ecu would be the way forward if you're willing to invest the cash into it.
[/quote]

Exactly. Group N rom as a daily driver highly not advisable?

All good and well to advertise this. But should have been advised against?

Who advised you to do this set up Robbie?

maybe I'm wrong but was under the impression hawkeye cars needed new ecu to run antilag . something to do with the electronic tbrottle as opposed to throttlecable in all other imprezas . launch control was not recommended either to me by bob rawle as it is 2 hard on the 2.5 motor as standard . same opinion on flat foot shift which is also available on racerom .

@ Ken / Tommy , what the problem with the 2.5 as regards rev limiting ( LC ) ??

Just effects standard motor or built as well? It's funny ken as you told me to video a launch but here you are saying not good for 2.5's??

Let's face it over time those options are going to effect any engine , be it a turbo , clutch ,engine etc . These are systems designed for rally/race cars not road cars that's why I was reluctant to get them at first but nice features to have . If the engine breaks I've only myself to blame :)

standard motor baz . built motor should be fine . when bob mapped my car initially he asked was it stock or built and advised again lc and flat foot shifting as the standard motor isnt up to it .

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=41205.msg1#msg1 date=1395400536]
standard motor baz . built motor should be fine . when bob mapped my car initially he asked was it stock or built and advised again lc and flat foot shifting as the standard motor isnt up to it .
[/quote]

Sorry just seen that in Kens post , apologies .

Why is that , shite pistons I'm guessing?

I'm not sure Baz to be honest.. A mate of mine got his rb320 race romd, and Bob said it to me, he actually went as far as saying just one bounce of the limiter can do the job.
I think it could be the ring land it will damage... So in my mind big standard engine...
So don't worry I wasn't trying to get you to blow up your engine man... Lol..

Bob didn't even recomend using the flat shift!!!

To have "effective " anti lag you need to get air into engine when the throttle body is closed, so some use an extra Bosch type idle control valve off a BMW, or can jack open the throttle body on fly by wire....
But as I mentioned above, If you have "effective" anti lag on your standard road car... It's bye bye brakes as they are servo assisted when engine is on vacum as opposed to boost

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=41205.msg471568#msg471568 date=1395363029]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was given 2 options of a group N or normal map and chose the Group N route myself, I was advised that it wouldn't be ideal for an everyday road car but I thought seeing as I drive about 20 days a year, it wouldn't bother me. I saw the bright light of antilag and launch control. Yes, to a lot of people they are gimmicks, but I'm a big kid and absolutely love them, it doesn't matter to me whether they are for show or for go :multijump:

Just turns out that it does bother me driving along because it doesn't matter whether you are heading out for a run to the shops or a long motorway drive, you'll still need light throttle and low revs at some stage.

If it can't be fixed, then I'll go back to a standard map or else try and convince the woman to let me buy an alcatec :shhh:

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41205.msg471631#msg471631 date=1395423601]
[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=41205.msg471568#msg471568 date=1395363029]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was given 2 options of a group N or normal map and chose the Group N route myself, I was advised that it wouldn't be ideal for an everyday road car but I thought seeing as I drive about 20 days a year, it wouldn't bother me. I saw the bright light of antilag and launch control. Yes, to a lot of people they are gimmicks, but I'm a big kid and absolutely love them, it doesn't matter to me whether they are for show or for go :multijump:

Just turns out that it does bother me driving along because it doesn't matter whether you are heading out for a run to the shops or a long motorway drive, you'll still need light throttle and low revs at some stage.

If it can't be fixed, then I'll go back to a standard map or else try and convince the woman to let me buy an alcatec :shhh:
[/quote]

This sums my car at the moment with A.L AND L.C.
And makes a lot of sense.
But i didn't real know how to describe it well.
I really only get pops and bangs coming down howth hill in low gear off throttle.
Don't think its to healthy for my car so might go back to standard ecu.
Let us know how ya get on Robbie.

I have a prodrive map and get the pops dropping gears mainly / only from 3rd to 2nd. With the prodrive backbox it wasn't that loud and you really had to listen for it but now with the nur spec you can hear it clearly. Pop a t pop.... Love it! If its good or not haven't a clue.

Thanks guys, some useful tips,

To be honest I had it before and its more of a novelty than anything else. Never used the LC but occasionally used the AL for no more than 30secs at any given time,

Does anyone know the approximate price for the,

- The cars factory ECU remapped for LC & AL

- Aftermarket ECU with LC & AL

3 options really.
Ecutek oem ecu= licence fee if not done already which makes it expensive, not sure but maybe 5-600 quid??
Race rom, if available I would reckon 300
Aftermarket ecu and lamba and map probably 1200+

To be honest, I really can't see any reason to put an ecu in it unless you want big power

i have a jdm ecu with ecutek licence for sale @€150

pops and bangs were programed into it

Back