Aftermarket boost controllers

Do yourself a Favour, get someone that has a good mechanical gauge old gauge like a blitz or something that will run the vacum hose from inlet right into the back of gauge and see what that gauge does..
Sometimes the electronic sender units can be a bit over sensitive or wrong.

The reason i asked about the Fuel Reg pipe is, the amount of cars i have seen, from Subarus, Nissans, Supras who T piece the fuel reg pipe is unreal.... the Pipe should never be T pieced, it should be left direct from inlet to Regultaor nothing else should be taken off it

I have an old blitz mechanical gauge there. If you can't feel anything in the car it's the gauge as Ken said

As the lads said: try with a mechanical gauge to verify.

Also though it is a known issue with non mechanical gauges to be bit sensitive and there are easy ways to fix this without spending a lot.

Ciaran WRX had a post about a week ago with a similar thing with needle "vibrating". Proper fix is get a restrictor pill in the hose going to the sender, but a cheaper fix is to use 1 or 2 cable ties hand tighten them on the fed line... Drive and see how it reacts. If needle is still very fast to climb and fall and still bit twitchy, tighten ties a little more to restrict hose diameter going to sender. Want to basically restrict it to smooth the flow to the sender.

Worth a shot as quick and cheap to try :thumbsup:

Re: Re: Aftermarket boost controllers

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393200631]

Also though it is a known issue with non mechanical gauges to be bit sensitive and there are easy ways to fix this without spending a lot.

Ciaran WRX had a post about a week ago with a similar thing with needle "vibrating". Proper fix is get a restrictor pill in the hose going to the sender, but a cheaper fix is to use 1 or 2 cable ties hand tighten them on the fed line... Drive and see how it reacts. If needle is still very fast to climb and fall and still bit twitchy, tighten ties a little more to restrict hose diameter going to sender. Want to basically restrict it to smooth the flow to the sender.

[/quote]

so use cable ties mid vaccum pipe??

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393201674]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm guessing it acts as a restrictor pill

If you can't feel or hear it while driving I wouldn't worry. Gauge is probably over sensitive. Is there no way to set up a sort of fine point on a controller for it? As in only move for every .05 of changes in pressure as opposed to every .005 change or something?

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393202043]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

a restrictor pill is used for boost control.

boost gauge is manifold pressure.

using cable tie mid vaccum line would give inaccurate gauge readings.

if have inaccurate gauge readings then may as well have no gauge.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393202589]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know that.
What I meant is to slow the movement of air in the pipe so the map sensor for the gauge still reads the same pressure but smoother if you get me .

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393202910]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know that.
What I meant is to slow the movement of air in the pipe so the map sensor for the gauge still reads the same pressure but smoother if you get me .
[/quote]

surely would agree slowing movements mid line through the increments of a cable tie is total wrong advice for accuracy???? and anyone reading should ignore?????

giving essays as answers does not any which way make any answer better or advisable

Dave, do a search on this topic as there's plenty of info on this out there.

There are restrictor inserts specifically for the application I described and the cable ties description is just a "quick and dirty" way to test the issue described by the OP. Idea is to tighten ties enough to restrict flow to smooth pressure to gauge sender (or gauge if mechanical). Accuracy won't suffer in a noticeable way if done in steps to prevent over restriction. If the OP tries this method and ties prove to resolve issue then would recommend proper restrictor pill instead of ties (about €5-8).

Apologies if you feel my original post was long - however it didn't make it any less valid or true though.

Gauge is steady as a rock everywhere it holds perfect but just on full boost it moves a very tiny bit like A tiny bounce but only on full boost.
Can't feel anything in the car.
Ciaran did say a 3 port like a Perrin should sort it out.
Gonna get a tweak map for 95 so just want to get the stuff I need now instead is getting another tweak again later.

Cheers
Keith

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393204400]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know that.
[/quote]

surely would agree slowing movements mid line through the increments of a cable tie is total wrong advice for accuracy???? and anyone reading should ignore?????

giving essays as answers does not any which way make any answer better or advisable
[/quote]

Not an essay at all Dave.take me about 10 seconds to say it.

And the Nissan I have has a restrictor pill just before the map sensor for the factory electronic gauge ( all factory ) so I assume its there for that reason?not saying the same for a Subaru.

I can see where your coming from and you know I respect your opinion but can you not see where we are coming from?

Also wouldnt be into the cable ties on the pipe

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393226066]
[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40910.msg1#msg1 date=1393204400]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not an essay at all Dave.take me about 10 seconds to say it.

And the Nissan I have has a restrictor pill just before the map sensor for the factory electronic gauge ( all factory ) so I assume its there for that reason?not saying the same for a Subaru.

I can see where your coming from and you know I respect your opinion but can you not see where we are coming from?

Also wouldnt be into the cable ties on the pipe
[/quote]

yes i do

a lot of gauges of a reducer/pill fitting on them.

top my head hks it used to be on the t-piece supplied with kit and racetech i think was on back of gauge.

my point is that the cable tie is not the correct way of doing it. and certainly not because a few people on forums say it if you do a quick search.

Agree is bodge too and hence only suggested ties to test and if fixes issue replace ties with the restrictor insert.

@Keith : if you want to test with a second mechanical gauge I can bring one to the AGM next week.

the gauge is fine, it doesn't need a restrictor or a cable tie :icon_nana:. its just doing its job, the bounce in the needle is the ecu duty cycle trying to do its job with a two port that doesn't like 1.4 bar. 3 port will control it better, i think at the time of mapping keith was looking for some fuel economy because the prodrive map was way too rich. when joe started tweeking it, the car responded really well(i know, i was driving) and it just ended up there.

Back