advise needed

A version 3 Type RA engine is closed is it not ???
Stand to be corrected but all early TypeRA enines were closed deck .
I think :ponder: :ponder:

Niall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=703.msg5680#msg5680 date=1162673155]
A version 3 Type RA engine is closed is it not ???
Stand to be corrected but all early TypeRA enines were closed deck .
I think :ponder: :ponder:

Niall.
[/quote]

Youve been corrected then...
Phase 1 RA was closed deck. All ver3 (red tops) are open deck

WHAT HAPPENED.

APPARENTELY,I HAVE A SMALL DEVICE FITTED THAT IS MEANT TO UP THE OCTANE IN YOUR CAR VIA A SMALL CYLINDER ON THE FUEL LINE.A SMALL LEAK WAS FOUND CAUSE BY A BLOCKAGE IN THIS CYLINDER AND HENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE FUEL AND MASSIVE DETONATION.BELIEVE IT OR NOT,A BIT STRANGE.

MAY HAVE NOT BEEN THE SOLE CAUSE OF THE DAMAGE BUT DIDNT HELP.TOLD THE MECHANIC NOT TO SPEND TIME OPENING UP UNTIL I DO A BIT MORE INVESTIGATING

SCUBBAY

ROUGHLY HOW MUCH AM I LOOKING AT?
AND DO I REALLY NEED A NEW CLUTCH?
AND IS IT WORTH THE HASSLE?

THANKS
ALAN

Think Frawls had a problem like that with a fuelcat.

Id say you could do with an AP or Organic Exedy Clutch. Sti one may not last that long with the torque from a 2.5. Id say if you keep the 2.5 to a certain level / budget it could be cheaper then the labour on geting your one rebuilt. But its very tempting to go further with it.

I had two problems with a fuel cat. The first one was the fuel hose began to persih and looked like it might disentigrate at any time. Then I began to get detonation at "racing speeds". I had the fuel cat removed, replaced the fuel filter with a new one and let Andy Forrest have a loook at it again.

Andy said the afr was now mysteriously up by 10%. He wanted to know what extra mod I had done but all I had done was remove the fuel cat and replace the old dirty fuel filter. He had to up the fuelling by 10% which has my injectors at 97.5% of their duty cycle which is fine as long as I dont do any more mods.

I think I would get the engine rebuilt with Group N parts which Gary Emmett told me he can get and fit at no extra cost over the standard parts!

Frawls

would there be any chance that you have just burnt a hole in piston or 2???? if it was oknly that and cylinders werent scored then happy days, be alot cheaoer to replace a piston or two than full rebuild

Before i dropped the car to Gary he was very positive and said it might not be so bad.
Arrived and turned over car and straight away said ...YE,TERMINAL.
The exact words you dont want to hear.Very loud metal rattle from the engine.Had the big ends go in
a 97 wagon before and know what that sounds like.multiply that by 5 and thats were i'm at.
Thanks for the reply,think i might go with the rebuild now,less hassle , and
done some research on upgrades,conrods pistons bearings etc.Stuff i never said or knew about b4.interesting but expensive.

Back