99 B4 - Update :wazzup:

ahh. now i see :) nice 1

heres a few pics of the botch jobs that where done before..
oh and my mechanic found that the altenator bolts where loose..
What is that thing called that the blue hoses are plugged into?

04112010126.jpg

09112010135.jpg

Froggy should also have a new solenoid or whatever that is (cant remember) for you :thumbsup: ... They are notorius for snapping off, the heat cause the vacuum pipes to stiffen and the plastic to become brittle :angry1:

i see. :) cheers dude... hope this is the end of it for a while.
id say its a vacum thing thats causing my revs to stay up high.. engine doesnt seem to rock anymore :)

update! 26/11/2010

I replaced the rad last night :)

I replaced the maf sensor today and got that inlet scoup thing that lets cold air into the airbox. and no difference. still revving high.
only thing im wonering now is, i screwed the antenna off the radio to the bolt that the ecu bolts to the chassis. < me things i might have fuckd that up.. lol :comp26:
i have another one i can swap out with and ill revert back with results. will be doing tomorrow hopefully....

Bloody thing is starting to loose boost but when i lift my foot from the pedel and slam it back on the pedel it boosts ok! bloody queeerrky problems. GURR

cheers lads.

Know how you feel about parts being superglued, one of the pipes on my fuel pump housing was glued on when I bought the car. Someone had replaced the fuel pump with a warlboro one, broke the pipe, glued it back and hoped for the best. It eventually broke and a mate of mine spotted it outside his house and thought it was water until he got closer, lucky me!!

Anyway, the revs being high might be a result of some cracked vacuum pipes, they can become brittle over time and split/crack very easy, had to replace a few of mine. It'll be a process of elimination when doing them, best bring it to a garage that knows the innards of a Legacy and have them go through them and replace any that are split :thumbsup:

hi b4.
appriciate that response :) thanks, kinda makes sense.
dont suppose you know where the vacume pipes are? is it the black box thats on the left of the engine bay with some rubber tubing coming out of it.?
cheers

john

just outta curosity i started messing with the throttle. and pressing it to rev it and then it would stick. ahhaaa. :ponder2: got me thinking, so i flicked the throttle and revs came back normal. me thinks it could be a sticky throttle. im gonna take it out and clean it.
So once this reving it sorted, then im onto finding why its sticking on .4 bar on the 1st turbo sometimes. And then after that im onto replacing tierod ends and bushings :)
Then when ive enough €€€ a respray :p

my passenger wheel went through a little pain earlier and thought it could fight with a curb LOL. stupid wheel LOL :hammerhead: i think its buckeled now :(

No worries mate, that black box is the solenoid box,would be worth your while replacing the hoses in there, there's a thread about it here in the tecnical q&a section. There are lots of vacuum hoses dotted about the engine, if you follow the black hoses coming from the solenoid box you can find most of them, if your gonna replace them do it one at a time, there's a lot of plumbing on the legacy and a lot to go wrong too :lol: as i said earlier best have a garage look at it if your unsure :thumbsup: Also there are restrictor pills in some of the hoses, hose number 2 in the solenoid box and hose number 23 near one of the turbos, not sure which one exactly, hope this helps

I put the idle control valve in and it made no difference. how ever i unplugged my automatic choke and rev stay around 1200 which is a massive improvment.
I recon its a mixture between the choke and the butter fly. im going to take the choke off completley and start it and see what is like..

Sounds like your starting to make a bit of head way into fixing the car man!!!!
Keep us up to date

:thumbsup:

Update.
I took the solinoid box out. Only took off one hose to see if they have residue build up on them, seem clean. a bit of air was coming out of that one. cant remember the hose number.
I also used carb cleaner to clean out the maf. me thinks i made a mistake. and ive just realised i might have put it back in the wrong direction lol. DOINK :hammerhead:
When i started it it was chugging and chugging. :( couldnt drive it as it had nooooooo power at all. chug chug stop. Ill make sure the maf is pointing in the right direction tomorrow and revert back.

Update :)
Started the car this morning and it runs smooth now :) just gota get the automatic choke now :)
Im selling it now. Im looking to roughly swap it for a crew cab jeep if i can..

Update on the car. I fixed the boost leak. :icon_grin:

It was coming from where the primary turbo goes into the intercooler. The mechanic who did the engine job put too small bolts in it and rimmed the first 3 or 4 treads and it was a little loose. I put longer bolts in and tightened. Also tightened every other bolt i could get my hands on, not too tight just enough... The boost is soo much smoother through the full revs. This im happy about :multijump: 2nd turbo seems to kick in at 5000 rpm and is more a little agressive now. The Vod seems a little smoother and only seems to dip for like 200 rpm. :)
When my cars at idle the boost gauge reads 0. is that normal? or is it supposed to go below 0 on idle. And the max boost i seem to be getting is .5 bar on both turbos. Can ye take a look at the picture below and tell me if that T connector for the boost gauge is in the correct place?
Over all i think i can say im getting happier now and feel more confident with the car that its not a bucket of crap. Just needs some tlc.

If anyone could let me know if whats happening with the boost is right or wrong.
Cheers
27112010149.jpg

Thats completely the wrong place to t in the boost gauge. Sorry to say mate but a complete pillock must have been at that car. I'll take a pic of mine in the morning and get hose number for you

Back