2009 jdm sti hatch

Limerick lad

Sunday Drivers
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a 2009 2.5 jdm sti and wondering what people's thoughts are on these reliability wise

How ya man, unless I'm wrong here, but the JDM STI hatch should be 2.0L, same as the JDM hawk. The 2.0L JDM lump is much more reliable, stronger engine, higher redline, generally a cleaner car also being jap.
Have you a link to the car?
Be mighty if you did, numbers growing down here in Limerick Cork & Kerry 💪💪

How ya man, unless I'm wrong here, but the JDM STI hatch should be 2.0L, same as the JDM hawk. The 2.0L JDM lump is much more reliable, stronger engine, higher redline, generally a cleaner car also being jap.
Have you a link to the car?
Be mighty if you did, numbers growing down here in Limerick Cork & Kerry 💪💪
Hi Eoin, it's supposed to be jdm but 2.5 so I don't know really,I know some people say the 2.5 is a weaker engine but I like the rumble from the unequal headers.

If its a JDM it will be a 2 liter.

In general a 2.5 is not as reliable, piston ring land cracking issues, head gaskets

I could be wrong but there may have been an automatic sti hatch that was 2.5.
Waste of time being Auto, gearbox just unfortunately does not suit the car

In general a 2.5 is not as reliable, piston ring land cracking issues, head gaskets

It's a powershift box in it and owner says a very good box,shifts quickly etc

I knew there was something. I didn't know if it was A Line or the auto ones or what..that's it tho. Haven't seen a JDM 2.0L hatch for sale in a while.. deffo be the one of choice lol

It's a powershift box in it and owner says a very good box,shifts quickly etc
That the white hatch?
Yeah, from experience, the Auto just does not work in a Subaru. You want to be able to "drop a gear and disappear" lol 😆
Had a B4 Legacy,,, it was fast, and powerful, and stuck you to the seat, but on the tight twisty roads, where you want a Subaru, they're no fun

I knew there was something. I didn't know if it was A Line or the auto ones or what..that's it tho. Haven't seen a JDM 2.0L hatch for sale in a while.. deffo be the one of choice lol
Wonder what the gearbox is like?if its fast to shift etc it could be nice

That the white hatch?
Yeah, from experience, the Auto just does not work in a Subaru. You want to be able to "drop a gear and disappear" lol 😆
Had a B4 Legacy,,, it was fast, and powerful, and stuck you to the seat, but on the tight twisty roads, where you want a Subaru, they're no fun
He said you can change the settings from full auto to sport and paddle shift and it allows you to hold whatever gear you want

He said you can change the settings from full auto to sport and paddle shift and it allows you to hold whatever gear you want
Exact same in the Legacy man. Steering wheel buttons or tiptronic, my best advice to you would be, take it for a spin and you'll see for yourself.
I made the mistake of taking the Legacy on a spin on a main road.
What you want to do, is get a spin down a small country road, or a tight twisty main road even, but somewhere where you would actually enjoy driving a manual with 300bhp odd....and then compare the experience
First hand knowledge is key...
And if you have never driven a subaru, or any turbo 2.0L for example, don't get all excited by the power of it 🤣 and try focus on the driving of it rather than the power. It just feels wrong i think man

Exact same in the Legacy man. Steering wheel buttons or tiptronic, my best advice to you would be, take it for a spin and you'll see for yourself.
I made the mistake of taking the Legacy on a spin on a main road.
What you want to do, is get a spin down a small country road, or a tight twisty main road even, but somewhere where you would actually enjoy driving a manual with 300bhp odd....and then compare the experience
First hand knowledge is key...
And if you have never driven a subaru, or any turbo 2.0L for example, don't get all excited by the power of it 🤣 and try focus on the driving of it rather than the power. It just feels wrong i think man
Yes I know what you mean I'm a bit sceptical myself of the gearbox and how good it would be on our side roads,I like the look of it but that part of it is putting me off.im well used to driving cars with lots of power so that won't excite me too much😁

never gone to look at it but it's been for sale a long time and only VRT'd recently, and I think it was up for somewhere close to 20k at one point, could be thinking of a different car though 🤔
A bit fishy that it's so cheap in my opinion lol

but I know nothing else about it other than that so talking out my ass mostly lol

never gone to look at it but it's been for sale a long time and only VRT'd recently, and I think it was up for somewhere close to 20k at one point, could be thinking of a different car though 🤔
A bit fishy that it's so cheap in my opinion lol

but I know nothing else about it other than that so talking out my ass mostly lol
I don't remember seeing it for sale before,he bought it about a year ago so it was vrtd at that time.he said someone going to see it Saturday so might be gone before I get to see it anyway

Drive it and see what it is like. Also, check the tax on it as well and if it all is properly registered as a van/doe/conversion/certs if required as it might be a hassle down the line when trying to sell it on etc. Check underneath for the usual places for rust as these cars are getting at that age as well. Check for records of timing belt/water pump and service history as they don't tend to like sitting around not being driven. Budget for all belts and fluid replacements if these haven't been done recently.

Overall, general car check and see if you like the way it drives with the auto box. It's not the most sophisticated of auto boxes vs a PDG/DSG and may lack the excitement of a manual car. See it for yourself and then decide :)

Drive it and see what it is like. Also, check the tax on it as well and if it all is properly registered as a van/doe/conversion/certs if required as it might be a hassle down the line when trying to sell it on etc. Check underneath for the usual places for rust as these cars are getting at that age as well. Check for records of timing belt/water pump and service history as they don't tend to like sitting around not being driven. Budget for all belts and fluid replacements if these haven't been done recently.

Overall, general car check and see if you like the way it drives with the auto box. It's not the most sophisticated of auto boxes vs a PDG/DSG and may lack the excitement of a manual car. See it for yourself and then decide :)
That is some good advice mate,I didn't really thinking about checking for the conversion documents.he said belts etc were changed last year.if the box was even decent I wouldn't mind really.

Good advice above Just be careful 2009 so most likely on max tax bracket too 3450 or whatever the max is ..auto no brembos too Good luck in search 👍

Back