2006 Mini Cooper S

I have the 207 gt same engine as the mini
Super super engine easy see 180 with a remap
Best of luck with the sale

I have the 207 gt same engine as the mini
Super super engine easy see 180 with a remap
Best of luck with the sale

Totally different engine Keith... the 2007 onwards is the same as is in your Pug... but the 2006 and before is a supercharged Tritec engine (Chrysler)... much more old fashioned and much harder on fuel too. Although the 2006 is harder on fuel and a bit more old school... it is a very hardy engine although of course superchargers do need rebuilds from time to time (well, more so than turbos).

Very different driving them too... I owned an 08 JCW which I loved... but also drove plenty of the 2006 supercharged ones. They are very progressive in power delivery because of the supercharging and a great supercharger whine of them too.

A cracking car for sure!

P.s. Good luck with the sale Peadar... and try throw it up on www.miniclub.ie great bunch there and always on the look out for clean ones.

Last edited:
Lovely car glwts. Was in the same boat 8 years ago. Herself had an 03 coopers s with works kit.
Back then I got 18.5 k for it, sold first day for sale. Some change.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Crikey, that was good money blacktar!

The R56 turbocharged cars from 07 on have the same engine as the Peugeot alright but have the dreaded death rattle timing chain issues. We were considering a clubman cooper S but that issue and the fact they're rare here so a bit pricey means it'll be a boring saloon probably!
The difference between the two models is prob same as a classic to a new age Imprezas. The R53 is pretty raw and has quite a bit of cabin noise while the R56 is more refined. Whine from the supercharger is great and it'll pull from very low revs in any gear. The turbo engine is actually nice too but wouldn't be confident in reliability.
Cheers lads

Peadar... the engine is actually quite reliable if it gets the chain guides and tensioner replaced with the new redesigned parts.

My R56 developed the rattle at around 28k kms.
Garage replaced guides under warranty but used the same bad 1st generation parts... so 3k km later... same issue.
BMW/MINI didn't want to do another replacement for free... so fought them on it... and they backed down and replaced them and tensioner for free again - but this time with the newly upgraded parts. Car has done more than a 100k since that and never another issue.

I would not be too worried about any rattly chain issues as most have long been fixed by now and can always ask whether it was done. Common thing to go on them is window regulators as they get a lot of use with the windows dropping down a bit when you open the doors. Easy to check that though and not too dear to fix.

They are much better on fuel... I got avg of 37Mpg, or 34mpg if driving her hard, and on long journeys closer to 44mpg.
Never managed to get more than about 30mpg out of the R53 and about 27mpg if pushing them hard.
More power too than the R53, and hardly any lag.
The R56 is not half as raw though, much quieter, more comfort etc, but that might suit you with a family.

Door lock actuators also on the r53 are notorious and gearboxes

clubman are nice but 1 rear door I think would bother me and they are of left hand design so it's on the wrong side apparently for it not to be as much an inconvenience :dontknow:

Nice car GLWTS :thumbsup:

I think the earlier cars had a midlands gearbox but were changed to a getrag unit which is much better. Fuel consumption is around the 30mpg for town and motorway combined. Doin a run in the country on 100kph roads would get you close to 35. The turbo cars seem to be a great leap forward for consumption.

I did plenty of research on the timing chains and would definitely be going straight to a mechanic for the upgraded kit but that was just going to add to the already high purchase price.
I'm 5 months into diesel ownership and the want for petrol is strong! The e61 is a lovely place to be (bar the shite audio system) but I'm kind've bored. Gonna sit tight for a couple of years and maybe get something interesting. Clubman JCW or a 335i touring.
The fuel saving on the diesel isnt ground breaking. If I had a french 1.5 diesel lump I'm sure I'd really notice it but I had to get a somewhat interesting diesel!!

Cheers all and spread the good news of the mini ;-)

Back